Land and Lodges

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Re: Land and Lodges

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:28 am

Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:28 am

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
tuscaloosahunter
Veteran

Postby tuscaloosahunter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks for the response. Also, what type of content would you like to see? Hyper-local? State? Regional? What type of features? How to? Recipes? Homes?

I ask that question because I subscribe to several magazines that, while I'm interested in the general topic, I get very little content that applies to me. For instance, I get Fly Fisherman magazine. Because I live east of the Rockies most of my fly fishing is done in East Tennessee, North Georgia and Western North Carolina. Of the 12 issues I receive, only about 2 of them will have anything that's really pertinent to my specific interest in fly fishing.

I suppose as long as you keep it state/region specific that most of the content would apply to most people. Deer hunting in Alabama isn't much different than deer hunting in Mississippi. Fly fishing in Colorado is much different than fly fishing in East Tennessee.
B.M.F.T.
Veteran

Postby B.M.F.T. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:49 am

It's just advertising. You mention a cigar shop, steak house, clothing, vacations, etc and he just trades it out. That is his business and he may have let it go to his head. He wouldn't be doing all of that if he didn't trade out advertising for the goods. Those little radio bumps he does just adds up to the his "lifestyle". No he hasn't been around dead animals or potted meat and probably never will.
"That's not luck, that's 1000 hours worth of watching hunting shows."
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:07 am

Deep southern sporting life... from duck hunting, deer & hog hunting, off shore fishing out of the mouth of the MS, marsh fishing, cast & blast in S LA, fly fishing in TN & AR, bass fishing in Florida, hog hunting in the Florida panhandle & Georgia. Nice lodges across the deep south, occasional articles about elk hunting in New Mexico, sea duck hunting in Alaska, African plains game, S America duck/dove/perdiz/dorado, fly fishing in Patagonia. Articles about Nash Buckingham, historical articles about duck/turkey calls & makers, the angel tree in SC. I'd lay off too much of the how-to's. Sometimes they can come off cheap and condescending. Recipes are always good, even a consistent "chef's corner" highlighting certain recipes or good restaraunts around the region. Reader's pics are good too. I may not do all of these things, but I enjoy reading about them. MS Land & Lodges had a great concept, but not enough backing and apparently defintiely lacking in leadership. IMO she also pigeon-holed herself to mainly MS stuff. Nobody from GA or SC wants to read a mag featuring just MS. That in itself cripples the potential subscription base, it would never grow past MS and maybe the border states. Also, some of her stuff came out a little to "ad-like", meaning that all her features seemed to be driven more by advertising for a specific person or business rather than a true article.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:15 am

farmerc83
Duck South Addict

Postby farmerc83 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:21 am

The two loudest sounds in the world are a BANG when you expect a CLICK and a CLICK when you expect a BANG.
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 am

Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:12 am

What appeals to me is the "beyond the hunt or how to" of the sporting lifestyle that LL attempted to acheive under certain and other editors. The full context: camphouses (not just luxurious, but quaint and personal), recipes, crafts, tales, sporting artifacts, and not just Mississippi but more regional in scope to include, perhaps, travel to other places - like many of us do; if not to Argentina, then certainly to domestic sporting destinations. And there's a ton of folks that can tell a great story that don't have a printed voice because publishing business is a close-knit institution - to the point that too many regular contributors read like canned regurgitations. The few magazine stories that I read are as far removed from protypical barbershop hunting fodder as can be imagined, and seems like most that embraced the first couple issue LL also liked seeing and reading contributions that were creatively unique. Gray's Sporting journal was once popular, at my house anyway, for "in the moment" photography and extremely well-written stories (beyond teh 4th grade level) that were only remotely hinged on actual hunting, but were nonetheless connected. Ran across so many great stories - like the written story of the horse-riding doctor at turn of the century near Tutwiler, MS, who's dad killed 19 panthers and countless bears, or the folks that kayaked down the Mississippi River from Clarkasdale during the recent great flood, or guy that makes beautiful knives as a tribute to his deceased wife, or the dog that showed up at a camp with a scaup in his mouth having chased it miles down the Mississippi River and become seperated from its owner, or growing up duck hunting at the old mule pen (I think it's called) that's now the site of upscale housing in the Metro area, the old stove in teh woods where the original tent camp was located generations ago, etc., etc., etc. As one person said, it was great to be made to feel by reading that you were among friends after the hunt, sipping whiskey around the camp fire instead of being talked to like you'd never held a shotgun, killed a duck or ever driven off a paved road.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
tuscaloosahunter
Veteran

Postby tuscaloosahunter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:36 pm

kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 pm

kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:50 pm

L&L was doomed from the get go. Too narrow of a spectrum and target base. Nice concept, and would have been a great monthly section in a broader regional magazine. For example, adding state by state features to Garden and Gun.
cbakerf81
Regular

Postby cbakerf81 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:20 pm

I know land and lodges has all our addresses and probably will be sending full refunds anytime.
farmerc83
Duck South Addict

Postby farmerc83 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Cool post Ramsey. The place you are thinking of is Mule Jail and is still a fishing camp based around an oxbow lake of the Pearl River east of where County Line Rd intersects Old Canton. The actual camp sits north/northeast of the Jackson Country Club course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_Jail

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.mic ... CBEQ8gEwAA
The two loudest sounds in the world are a BANG when you expect a CLICK and a CLICK when you expect a BANG.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Attachments
iswung.jpg
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham

Return to “General Discussion Forum”