Tractor

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cootkiller
Veteran

Tractor

Postby cootkiller » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:11 am

I am going to buy a new tractor when i get in from offshore this time. I have narrowed it down to the Kubota 7040. Or a john deered 70 horse. 4wd with loader and shuttle shift for which ever i get. I have called all the dealers and just really need to go look at them to see which one i want. I am leaning more toward the kubota. Just wondering on equipment that a 70 hp can pull without putting it in a bind. I am going to get a 7' bush hog and was thinking 8 ft 3pt hitch disk. I have found a few disk on craigslist and the market bulletein 10' and 12' pull type. and thought about just getting one of those isntead of a new one. What size would that tractor handle easily?

Also looking for a do all. what woudl be a good size for 70 hp
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. -Mark Twain
jbs38654
Veteran

Re: Tractor

Postby jbs38654 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 am

You might want to rethink that kubota truck. Your going to over pay for some orange paint
In the long run you will be very pleased with the JD
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Buy whichever has the best and closest dealer.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:12 pm

I would think a 70hp with 4wd would handle a 6 row do all just fine.

Not all disks are alike. A 10 foot amco offset with 24" blades is twice the disk as a 10' of a different design. Look at weight and weight per blade.

My 10' offset amco handles about like a 20' 480 IH.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
cootkiller
Veteran

Postby cootkiller » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:43 am

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. -Mark Twain
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:20 am

Depending on the model of John Deere, the John Deere will be more tractor. Deere has started building a line of tractors that are priced comparable to the Kubotas built with cheaper metal. Kubota is a good tractor and does fine at lighter jobs. I grew up on a Kubota we still have that one in the family, probably near 30 years old now. Kubota is a fine hay field tractor. The Deere's have heavier metal and stronger hydraulic cyclinders.

If you will not have transport your tractor and disk on a trailer, I would suggest a pull behind disk. They generally do a better job (fewer passes) than a 3 point hitch disk. As Wingman, says consider weight per disk blade. A 70 HP tractor is a nice size food plot tractor. You'll enjoy either brand you buy.
Scott Baker
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:14 pm

take a look at the New Holland,

We have been running New Hollands for about 10 years now. hardly ever have a break down.

we bought because we have a local dealer. the ride is much better on the NEW Holland than a Kubota
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Lodi Rebel
Veteran

Postby Lodi Rebel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:56 pm

The New Holland 7610 or 6610 MFD best tractor on the marketin that HP range. In my line business as an Erosion Control Contractor I've used them all, New Holland has been the best hands down! The only problem is locating a good one. I just bought two in Pennsylvania and had them shipped here. Kentucky and Tennessee are great places to start looking. Folks down in Chile are buying them as fast as they can. Ill be glad to talk to you about my experiences with them. Call any time..... 662-417-8603

Return to “General Discussion Forum”