Big Green Egg Question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Big Green Egg Question

Postby stitch » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 am

I guess there is only one question left to answer......large or XL? I know the XL is big......but it looks like a turkey or a couple of boston butts would be a tight fit on the Large
dawg-n-duck
Duck South Addict

Re: Big Green Egg Question

Postby dawg-n-duck » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:37 am

Bayou classic
Happy Happy Happy
faulkner
Regular

Postby faulkner » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:47 am

In my opinion the large is the way to go. I have cooked on both, and to me, the large is easier to control. It really comes down to how much you will need to put on it at a time. I went through this same debate before I got mine and settled on the large after trying both sizes and talking to others that had them. In the end it really comes down to personal preference and how much space you feel that you need. Good luck.
Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:22 am

I've got a large, no regrets
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:30 am

My original intentions were to get a large.....but a friend planted a seed in my head that I may want an XL.

Maybe I should ask do the L and XL perform the same. The "beauty" of the egg is the ability to control heat....didnt know if there were issues with the XL vs the L......or do they perform the same, then I am going big!
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:58 pm

You'll love it, i got the Bayou classic for 650ish out the door a while back when Lowe's had them on sale. Ceramic is the way to go!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
greenheadman1
Veteran

Postby greenheadman1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:22 pm

If you've got the cash, go ahead and get the XL. I've got a L and have never needed a bigger one but bigger is always better. I would definitely get a BGE tho. That Bayou Classic is a cheap POS IMO. The differences in the quality are huge! I just pulled 2 Boston butts off mine about an hour after a 13 hour smoke!!
bhuggins
Veteran

Postby bhuggins » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Things that will fit on the large - around 10 hamburgers, a whole turkey, 4 slabs of ribs, around a 10 lb boston butt (easily).

The only time I have wished for an XL is when I was cooking some sides at the same time as the meat. I would think the XL would take a little longer to bring up to temp and would use more charcoal but other than cost I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Those XL's are BIG. If you see yourself cooking for a large group often I might go with the XL.
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Where is the best place to buy one in north ms?
Get in where you fit in!
cootkiller
Veteran

Postby cootkiller » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:01 pm

I have the large and i am very pleased with it. I can smoke three 5lb drunk chickens at one time. You can also get the tiered rack when cooking alot of food. you can also buy a rib rack that stands the ribs up and smoke 6 racks of ribs at once.

but as said above. bigger is better. i am gonna buy a small one for taking camping and such.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. -Mark Twain
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Brought home an XL......
I know it is overkill, but for a few more bucks......I would be mad at myself for not going "big" that first time I needed it.
adameaster
Regular

Postby adameaster » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Clear choice in Grenada. Derick is a great guy.
They can not catch us we are on a mission from God. - Elwood Blues
southernfire97
Veteran

Postby southernfire97 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:48 am

its not over kill I can assure you. You will be thankful for the extra space. Good choice. I have a bayou classic and the only problem I have with it is lack of space, so if your xl egg is too big, just holler at me and I will trade ya!!!
CUT EM BOYS!!!
Ryano
Veteran

Postby Ryano » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:11 am

OBoykin
Regular

Postby OBoykin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:33 am

Got a large green egg and a mini green egg. The mini gets a workout because 1) it gets hotter faster 2) uses much less charcoal 3) most of the time just cooking for two. Love the large, but the mini is also the bomb. It's very portable too.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”