hunting in buckbrush

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Daisy& brutus

hunting in buckbrush

Postby Daisy& brutus » Tue May 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Looking for some help and hints for the 2012-2013 hunting season. We currently hunt in buckbrush with water surrounding us. we have a hole that seemed promising for the 2011-2012 season. I dont know if it was us, the decoys, the birds, or the weather but our season was not so great. We tried different tactics and couldn't seem to find out what exactly the birds wanted. Im just curious to know if anyone else out there hunts in these similar conditions and what you do to be successful. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Re: hunting in buckbrush

Postby champcaller » Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Could you be more specific about the birds in the area? Were they using the hole and just not working in while you were hunting or was is just a lack of birds?

Could be the mild winter and lack of birds in your area.

But if you had birds using your hole and not working in while you were hunting then they were probably seeing you. It's tough to hide next to buck brush. Mallards can see right through a bush and pick out a glaring face. Luckily, it is easy to build some great blinds with buck brush. You can start now cutting limbs, stickting them in the water and they will grow. For this year you could do some cutting away from the hole and make a a really good blind with the buck brush. Bring wire, gloves, cutters, and brush that sucker even more than you think till you all you have are a few shooting windows. The number one problem I notice people make is not paying enough attention to concealment. poo poo facing it doesn't count.

Another possibility is they are using it later in the morning as a rest area. I'm not saying you leave early, but try sticking it out till 1 o'clock one day if you know there are birds in the area and they just haven't shown up.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
Daisy& brutus

Postby Daisy& brutus » Tue May 29, 2012 9:17 pm

thanks for the advice. Im thinking this past year might not have been so great for us because the warm winter we had. Maybe because the fields didnt freeze pushing ducks into our area. Now we did see lots of birds, i would say about 50% were high flyers and knew were they were going and the other 50% didnt seem that interested. As far as concealment, we built a blind and had it brushed really well. This next year we are going to try and brush it even more. I dont think that they saw us because most of the ducks werent decoying and flaring they just werent interested in us. We did stay a couple of days of there till 2-3 o-clock and sometimes all day. Now another thing that concerns me is our hole size. It seemed to be plenty big enough though i may be wrong. We are going to open it up even more for this season. Keep the advice coming, i'm always learning new things! thanks!
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Tue May 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Sometimes, for whatever reason, ducks just don't wanna use a spot.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
Daisy& brutus

Postby Daisy& brutus » Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 pm

agreed. we are going to try and get it worked out this year. hoping it gets colder and more birds in this area.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Wed May 30, 2012 7:53 am

Like Champcaller said, it's hard to hide in buckbrush. When you hunker down in it, the brush seems thick, but from above, it's not the same. A boat stands out like a neon sign unless it is really well-camouflaged. If you have a cypress tree or two in the right spot, sometimes that will provide enough overhead cover to make a difference.
pintail07
Veteran

Postby pintail07 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:53 am

crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed May 30, 2012 10:12 am

When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Wed May 30, 2012 11:07 am

We had a buckbrush hole once that was one of the better ones in the state i would say on some public ground.... it was small and tight and the mallards loved it. Shots where typically no more than a couple of feet.....

with that said some jack legs (pretty sure who they are and may even be lurkers here) cut the brush out of the hole to open it up or make a bigger hole.... BAM over night the ducks quit using it and quit working it like they used to when it was very tight :evil:

havent hunted that hole in over 2 years now cause they aint there :evil:

if the ducks are using it dont fowl it up if they arent go find one they are
Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Wed May 30, 2012 12:50 pm

arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Wed May 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Daisy& brutus

Postby Daisy& brutus » Wed May 30, 2012 2:55 pm

what would yall say the ideal hole size would be?
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Wed May 30, 2012 3:04 pm

This is not a smart booty answer: The ideal-sized hole is one that the ducks like. I have one buckbrush hole that's about 4 acres and it is absolutely killer when the ducks are using it. I have also done really well in certain areas where there is no defined hole (provided the bushes are far enough apart to allow the ducks to land) when the wind, sun and other factors are right.
Daisy& brutus

Postby Daisy& brutus » Wed May 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Oh i understand. I know there are plenty of different sizes it could be. Just trying to see if ours is big enough. I would say its about 30yrds by 15-20yds. If that gives anyone any idea should i add or keep the same?
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed May 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Another thing to remember is that ducks choose what the "x" is not us. True killing duck ground have been chosen by ducks from years and I mean years past. Our best blind at DC to most eyes would not look really like this is where I'd hunt. But I can promise u there has been more ducks killed out of it that only god him self could count. There has been a handful on here that have shared a day looking west in the bayou that would vouch for that!!
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”