Ask Duck South: Green Egg

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Ask Duck South: Green Egg

Postby stitch » Mon May 21, 2012 10:37 am

Are the green eggs worth the $$$?

Is the hype accurate? What is the hype all about...what makes it better than anything else out there?

Can you smoke meats with them?

If so......where is the best place to buy / deal?

I have cooked with charcoal all my life, primarily use a Char Grill with a fire box for when I want to smoke. I have worn my grill slap out, time to get a new one. I have a buddy that has a green egg and all he can tell me is that it's "awesome' and that's what I need to get, but can't give me too many specifics.....would love input from the group
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask Duck South: Green Egg

Postby champcaller » Mon May 21, 2012 10:55 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87203&p=796589&hilit=ceramic+grill#p796589

can't go wrong with a BGE or Bayou Classic.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
jc
Regular

Postby jc » Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 am

I have an egg and love it. You can cook/smoke just about anything on them. There are some other ceramic grills/smokers out there that are cheaper than the egg.
Your hunt is only as good as your dog and the people that are with you.
Redhead
Duck South Addict

Postby Redhead » Mon May 21, 2012 10:58 am

BGE are awesome... ya gotta have one!

I love mine, it it cooks any temp. range from 200 - 600

using Lump charcoal is easy 15-20 min and you are ready to cook

load it up and cook all night for Butts, Shoulders or Whole Turkeys

best Ribs I ever ate came off a BGE

you can control the temp easy by adjusting the damper and or exhaust..
Shoot em on Three... 1 ... 2... Boom
Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Postby Drakeshead » Mon May 21, 2012 11:04 am

4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 am

Bayou Classic works fine

Where'd who go?
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Mon May 21, 2012 11:23 am

There's a guy on here that that sells Bayou Classic's and can give you all the specifics of a ceramic grill you need and........save you a pile of cash.
His name is Johnny and he has a motto.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Postby RebelYelp » Mon May 21, 2012 12:49 pm

I sell the KamadoJoe ceramic (Kamado style) grills at my store and they do GREAT.

www.kamadojoe.com
Sun rise in the east.... and it sets up in the West, yes the sun rise in east baby, and it sets up in the west..... It's hard to tell, hard to tell, hard to tell, which one, which one I love best.....
DuckDeke
Veteran

Postby DuckDeke » Mon May 21, 2012 1:18 pm

The BGE is great. I got an XL a few weeks ago and have cooked on it several times now. That thing will get over 700 and sear a steak to perfection, or slow smoke a butt at 200 until it is just right. You can re-use what charcoal didn't get burned up in your last fire. It is easy to light and gets to temp quick. They a lifetime warranty. There are plenty of "eggcessories" you can add to rig your BGE out just the way you need it. Overall, the BGE is a one-stop do-it-all outdoor cooking machine and from the looks of how well it is built, your kids will be able to pass your egg down to their kids...Sturdy. Now all that is left to do is get past the sticker shock.
bhuggins
Veteran

Postby bhuggins » Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Two things that make grilling difficult - controlling the temperature and keeping the moisture in the meat. Ceramic grills solve both of those problems. I have a BGE so I can't speak for the others but if you like to grill it is worth every penny.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Tue May 22, 2012 5:35 am

Stitch....you knocking it dead at Timber if you can afford a Green Egg!!! Good for u!!!!!

I have owned all of them from the original imported clay Green Egg ( back in early 90s ) to a Ceramic one now. I also own a Weber Performer and Backwoods Competition Smoker.

for the money...............drum roll....................Weber Performer $299................

Benefits
-Charbroil a steak...you know, flame kiss that crust on one from a HOT grill.... you like that ? stay with grill

- has a handy propane lighter system to get charcoals lit. GE nothing

- slow smoke a butt? Use the Green Egg type charcoal in your Weber and your friends would swear you have a GE.....

- the Weber can get 600 degrees like the GE ...

- Weber is bigger definitely for the money. Plus you have the table stand built around the cooker. A setup like that will cost you in a GE around $1000 ???

- Weber is at 300 lbs lighter !, I can load my Weber up in back of truck and on the way to campsite... GE. Stays home...

remember you can use the same lump charcoal you use in your Weber To get that GE Flavor,your heat source is what flavors your meat. Not ceramic or clay or brick. I cook a lot of my slow smoke meats over a water pan in my Weber with indirect heat..

If my temp drops? I sprinkle appropriate number of coals over propane burner and get those coals lit and rolling without having to use another firestarter box or chimney..

I will give my GE ceramic the nod in holding heat.. But unless I am cooking a butt 10 hours or turkey 5 or ham or something....My weber holds heat just fine. it also is easier to adjust the draft and control temp. As far as butts go..I quit using my Backwood smoker on a couple butts and only use my Weber...so much easier to add wood chips and less charcoal over 10 hours

Charcoal grill in my family is used so much more than our GE since we cook Steaks , hamburgers, chicken ,chicken wings, pork chops, salmon...etc.....it seems just so much quicker to use.

http://m.weber.com/grills/series/2/63

Good luck
-
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Tue May 22, 2012 6:15 am

Yes, def worth it!
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Wed May 23, 2012 8:09 am

Your neighbor - the Big Sexy has one and that's what he cooks on for our Sunday night cookouts. He can tell you all about it - it's on my list as well. I like the fact that I can can cook (if I desire) at 700+ degrees for that hard searing on a steak. Medium to Medium rare with a nice and easy charred edge. MMMMMmmmmmm...........
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
DuckDeke
Veteran

Postby DuckDeke » Wed May 23, 2012 11:26 am

I just picked up a pizza stone for my BGE yesterday. Gonna try to make a pie this weekend. I hear they are pretty good.
hunter
Regular

Postby hunter » Wed May 23, 2012 11:59 am

If anybody wants a cypress table for your BGE or Bayou Classic I can build one and they are much cheaper than what you pay at the store. I am sure I could build one for the Kamado smoker as well if I had the dimensions. I have been selling the tables for a while and have never had anyone call me back with problems and everybody seems to love them.
pm me for details.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”