Ask DS photo forum

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Ask DS photo forum

Postby champcaller » Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 pm

As I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum I have no reservations asking for help here.

I'll be guiding again this season, which means I won't be pulling the trigger of a gun very much. I didn't get near the pictures (and quality) that I would of liked this past season, which leads me to my question... what camera should I get?

It will help if I tell you what I want to do with it..
The main thing this camera will be used for is kill shots, Cash (my dog), trophy shots of people, and the occasional sunrise. I'm not trying to get pictures of ducks flying or the type of stuff canadacaller comes out with (which is amazing). I just want photos I didn't take with my phone I can put in a frame. I don't want to change lenses but I want a solid zoom. I don't want a point and shoot but something in between that and a professional grade camera.

If that is clear as mud, I apologize. Here are a couple that are similar to look and, from what I can gather, the type of camera I'm looking for.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... KQBEPMCMAA

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... MABEPMCMAA

That's about the size and style I have in mind, but I leave it up to ya'll to enlighten me.

Thanks fellas.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS photo forum

Postby teul2 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:11 pm

My sister has that Canon and like it, and given your discription of what you wanted, thats what I was thinking about before I opened the link.
But, I would still suggest a Rebel series SLR with the kit lens for better shots.
Watch craigslist. I dont have a problem buying a used camera if I can look it over first (check the number of shutter clicks).
Here is one, for about the same money (if you buy the kit lens he is selling for $50 extra).
http://memphis.craigslist.org/pho/3025199174.html

That and a small pelican case (like the 1300 for camera only) will get you in and out of the woods with out incident.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Mon May 21, 2012 6:35 am

I've used the Powershot before, and it's really nice for a "point and shoot". It has most of the same functions as a DSLR if you want more control over your shots, but they a little less user friendly for some reason. My biggest hang up with it is the zoom. Once you run out of optical zoom and get into the digital end of it's zoom capabilities your pictures start getting really grainy really fast. All in all though it should be a nice rig for what you plan to do with it.

I don't have any experience with the Cool Pix camera, but have seen some photos taken with one and the colors are amazing!

If you can figure out how to test drive them both you should.
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:19 pm

get a used 40 or 50d off ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-40D-1 ... 3cc6dfcd54

then get a kit lens if you want, but remember, the lens is what's gonna make the difference.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:37 pm

TJ, I had a powershot before I changed over to a Rebel XTi. I'm like you, I don't really do any special "photography", just kill shots, sunrises, kids, etc. It's nice to have "upgradability" with the lenses, if you will. I found with the Powershot that sometimes it didnt have the zoom or macro I was looking for, and the zoom lenses on those things suck asss. I would suggest going ahead and getting an SLR like the XTi or 50d. You won't regret it... but you will probably eventually regret it if you don't buy one. Just speaking from my personal experience.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:57 am

says the lawyer and doctor! :lol:

But seriously, I definitely plan on upgrading to one of those and if I could find a heck of a deal Id jump on it, but all things considered my price range is around 300$ for this year.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:30 am

Watch Craigslist, seriously.
There are always one or 2 rebel series cameras on there in your range.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:04 pm

I love my powershot...oñly shortcoming is mine uses regular batteries as opposed to a rechargeable one.

The doc
WilM88
Veteran

Postby WilM88 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am

I'm in the same boat, Tj. Of course I wont be capturing near the carnage you will up there in Arkie land but I do want a quality camera to get shots of the dog, end of the day shots, action shots of dog, friends and sunrise, sun set, pics from the deer stand, etc. Good enough to blow up a little a put in a frame... Except I'll probably get a point a shoot for carrying, space purposes, I should've never sold my old rebel xti.
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 am

"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Cool! Shoot me a pm.