Pond Moss

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Pond Moss

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon May 07, 2012 9:54 am

I have a lake that has a good bit of moss in it, some on the top in big mats, and its growing all in the bottom.

i am working on getting a bloom on the lake via fertilizer, but i know the fertilizer won't do any good with the moss covering up the lake.

any input on how to get rid of this stuff? its like the plague!!!
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Re: Pond Moss

Postby Wingman » Mon May 07, 2012 10:19 am

I'm no pond pro, but if you have filamentous algae you have plenty of nitrogen. We always tied a sack of copper sulfate on a pole at water level for blue green control.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Mon May 07, 2012 10:19 am

Cutrine Plus. There may be something newer/better on the market now, but that's what I used for it back in the day.
Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
Bercy
Veteran

Postby Bercy » Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 am

Same issue here - have fertilized 4 times in last couple months, can't get a bloom and have moss coming on. Help would be appreciated here as well.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Mon May 07, 2012 10:33 am

JD,

Be careful with copper sulfate in your low alkalinity water you can some major fish kill issues. My suggestion is to call DanP and get a price for spraying. Did ya'll ever drain and deepen the lake? Also, DO NOT fert if you have significant filamentous algae issues. You may also have some Naiad or pondweed as well.

Bercy,

DanP is not to far away. Give him a call and see if he can help you. Also, stay away from copper. You are in a better position alkalinity-wise, but see if Dan can help you out. For your size pond, it should not cost too much. I am back in the fertilizing business if you want to try a different fertilizer.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Mon May 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Pond, thanks for the props... As mentioned, don't fertilize yet! Get your problems under control then work on a bloom. The warm winter has resulted in a greater than normal filamentous algae (FA) issues from what we've seen. Cutrine Plus works great on most species of FA, but not all. A tank mix of Cutrine/Reward is required in some situations. FA likes to grows on a substrate, be it the pond bottom or other submerged weeds, that makes a difference in long term control strategies.
Holler if I can help, advice always free lol
662-820-1844
Dan
wellgood
Regular

Postby wellgood » Tue May 08, 2012 7:18 am

I have a lot of duck weed on my pond. What's the best thing for that. I tried aquatic roundup but it didn't do much
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 am

pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Tue May 08, 2012 9:43 am

"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Tue May 08, 2012 9:54 am

Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
SCOOTER
Duck South Addict

Postby SCOOTER » Tue May 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Cutrine Plus works well on cotton moss, easy to spray and works..
Kids are like coots,they come in droves for me..........
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 pm

What kinda fertilizer you got?I use a liquid think it's called Tackel Buster cost around $25 for 5gal and takes me about 10gals per applacation to do my pond at 2-3 applications.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Wed May 09, 2012 7:11 am

Digger,

We have a water soluble 10-52-4 product with micronutrients. Application rate is 4 pounds per acre. I can fertilize my 8 acre lake in about 10 minutes. I start in March and usually hit it with a double dose of 8 lbs/acre to start and get a plankton bloom quickly. I then follow up as needed. Price depends on quantity. Most places sell it for $2.00 per pound. I am considerably less than that. Shoot me a PM if you would like some contact information. Yes, we deliver.

Liquid works fine if it is applied correctly. I don't use it because I hate diluting it 10 to 1 and driving all over the lake pouring it in the prop wash.

Thanks,

Pond
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Wed May 09, 2012 9:37 pm

Thank's for the info pondman I'm probley to far away and would need too little to be worth mine or your 's time.I got a 10 surface acre pond I hit it once with 10gals and gonna hit it agin in a few day's.I use a 15gal spray tank with the nozzel zip tied at my prop and just ride around the fine spray and prop wash does a good job,mix it 5gal fertilize to 10gal of water.Your stuff would be easier to deal with carrying 40lbs over getting my stuff loaded and unloaded.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Thu May 10, 2012 5:21 am

PM sent. Let me know. I bet we can work something out.

Thanks,

Pond

Return to “General Discussion Forum”