“The Redheaded Triplets” Another Chase-Same Results

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

“The Redheaded Triplets” Another Chase-Same Results

Postby missed mallards » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Raining out, been up since 4 chasing those bearded bastards. May not be worth the time, but it was fun.

“The Redheaded Triplets”

It was March 17th, the first Saturday of turkey season. I can remember the morning as though it was only yesterday. I arose early, poured a stiff cup of coffee, and proceeded to places unknown in hopes of bagging the first bird of the season. From the first gobble that morning, until the last, sometime around 10 that morning, I had trekked some of the prettiest hardwoods that I had ever set foot on. From listening to the jakes cackle on the high hill, to calling up the ole hen, the morning was filled with excitement. Even so, around noon’ish, I began to feel a hunger pain that needed attending to and broke for a quick snack. That’s when I met the “Redheaded Triplets”.

I can’t recall what caught my attention, whether it was the cattle, the grass, or merely just the open area alongside the highway, but one look across the open pasture resulted in an immediate slam of the brakes. There, on the far side of the hill, stood what I thought were 10 birds. I couldn’t tell what, be it hens, gobblers, or jakes, but I could tell where they were going. In a matter of seconds, my hunger went away, and my attention was turned to the old white house sitting on the knoll. I figured if the owner of the house didn’t own the land, they may be able to shoot me in their direction. I had nothing to lose.

A simple knock was all it took to make the older gentleman investigate the back door. Conversation was pretty quick concerning my intention for disturbing his peace. It was just as I said, “I can work cattle, run a tractor, and dig a whole if need be… Do you let people hunt?” The gent just busted out laughing. I can imagine I wasn’t the first hunter whom had shown up at his door, and know for a fact I wasn’t the last.

The conversation ended some 2 hours later. No, I was never granted access to pursue, but the good lord shinned down on us that evening. Sitting on his back porch, we watched 11 long beards strut, gobble, and give chase to some 30 hens, while the 10 jakes performed their best imitations of their elders. It was a sight I have never seen in Mississippi before or since. As we rounded up conversation and went our directions, I made one last stop to take in the sight. There, in the middle of the flock, stood the 3 “redheaded triplets”, fully fanned out, drumming and spitting.

Since March 17th, I’ve given chase to many birds, in many areas, but none that put on a show of that caliber. It was a sight that burned a memory in my mind and on every trip to our Cabin I still glance to the field and try to imagine the sight. Yesterday afternoon, April 16th, I didn’t have to imagine. There, standing in the middle of the golden pasture, stood 14 birds. In the middle of the flock, 3 redheads could be seen as clear as rain on a windshield. At first glance I just chuckled because I knew they were safe from me. Then I got the bright idea to watch them fly up for roost. By 7:00, they had all headed their directions, and by some slight chance the 3 triplets were heading for some land I could give chase on.

April 17, 2012, the rain was hammering me as I exited my truck at 5:30. I had a nice sprint ahead of me, and wasn’t being encouraged much by the weather. The wind blew, the rain drowned out any noise in the forest, and the slippery terrain allowed me to exercise my gluteus Maximus on several occasions. After a 45 minute trudge through what could have been considered a rain forest, I made my way to the creek which split the hillside. With no sound of anything, and having less than 100 yards of hearing, I sat patiently waiting… Just hoping.

Nothing was said, nothing was heard, and besides being wet from head to feet, nothing was being accomplished. At 9:00 I had all but called it quits. I had picked up my gear, began to stretch somewhat from the long sit, when a movement caught my eye. On the other side of the creek, on a small knoll, I caught a glimpse of the back of a turkey walking due north picking as he went.

With more than 300 yards separating me from my prize, I slide off into the creek which rose somewhat from the last time I had crossed it. Now, with water at my waste, and no way of climbing out of the slippery embankment, I stood contemplating my next move. If I went south, I may be able to cut them off from the long hardwood ridge. If I went north, I’d be heading straight to the highway, which was the direction of the pasture. With no real way to decide, I dug a nickel from my pants, called heads, and headed north.

For the next 30 minutes I made my way toward the longbeards. Or more so, one of the only 2 places I figured they would cross my path for an ambush. I slide through the hills and through the brush as quietly as I could, and thought I had made quick time. When I arrived at my chosen destination, or very close, I slide my shotgun from my shoulder and decided to crawl the rest of the way in hopes of not spooking them. Sliding up to the tree, I sat back, and took in the view. The highway was about 70 yards behind me, the ridge was at my feet, and a small creek was just 30 yards in front of me. I made notes of shooting lanes, and tried to guess distances thereabouts in the short amount of time I had before the birds would be on top of me.

Out in front me; standing some 100 yards away, I caught my first glimpse as they approached. My heart hit my throat, my knee’s shook slightly, and I could just see one of the three flopping in a matter of minutes. I was just excited; there is no other way to explain it. Then, it happened. All 3 birds made their way into the small clearing some 75 yards in front of me and as though in single file took flight. They flew over the small ditch, me, and the highway!

Sitting there, soaking wet, I just began to either cry or laugh. I’m not really sure which it was, as it couldn’t have been scripted. There, 100 yards behind me, I watched as all 3 birds joined the rest of the flock in the man’s pasture. I met all 3 in the pasture, I watched them all year in the pasture, and this morning I left them in the pasture. They didn’t take long to establish their roles within the flock, despite the drizzling rain; they chased off the jakes and gave me a nice rainy day show. After catching a ride back to my truck, taking a shower, and locking up camp, I made one last stop. Those Redheads sure do something to man.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Trutone2
Regular

Re: “The Redheaded Triplets” Another Chase-Same Results

Postby Trutone2 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Good Read man!!!! One thing about those ole birds, just plan something out and laugh about it later.
country_20boy
Veteran

Re: “The Redheaded Triplets” Another Chase-Same Results

Postby country_20boy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm

My appologies, because I just laughed out loud at your misfortune.

Good read as always....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”