Apple Facetime/ IPAD purchase

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Apple Facetime/ IPAD purchase

Postby bulldog ducker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:47 am

The wifes Bday is coming up next week. We are also leaving for Jamaica for a vacation the following week. This will be the first time that she has been away from our 19 month old since he was born. Now he has spent the night at the grandparents and what not but you know what I am talking about. Thought this would be a good birthday gift since she could use facetime and see him while we were on vacation. We have a mac desktop so it should work well.

Has anyone used Facetime? Is the Ipad II worth the extra 150$ over the Ipad?
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: Apple Facetime/ IPAD purchase

Postby donia » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 am

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
pintail07
Veteran

Postby pintail07 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:01 am

Facetime will work good even from iphone but you must have wi-fi connection on both ends....not really sure about the Ipad but I would think it might even be better/clearer/easier
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 am

yeah, make sure you don't plan to use it on 3G...requires WIFI connections...other than that it's good
bottomland84

Postby bottomland84 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:31 am

The wife and I have Iphones and facetime all the time when Im in Singapore or Africa, but you have to have wifi. I would go with the Ipad II, lot better than the first and the III still has kinks to work out.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:33 am

Worked good for me and my wife all the way around the world, whenever we could get WI-FI connection in Afghanistan, Europe, France, Italy, Germany etc..... It worked flawlessly. Time difference was an issue though for us and who we were facetiming (we were over there together) facetiming family back home, but the Ipad II is worth it, it made our travels alot easier.

Sold it when we got home to a buddy who is using it over there right now.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 am

rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 am

you won't go wrong with it, as far as momma the first time we left our little one and went on a trip was to the gator bowl, as luck would have it when we got to jacksonville a tornado touched down about half a mile from our house where little guy and his grandmother were, hopefully your trip doesn't have any of these distractions but the iPad will definitely help her out, funny thing is i caught myself constantly asking if she checked on him lately so i was more worried than she was
bottomland84

Postby bottomland84 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 am

ducman77
Duck South Addict

Postby ducman77 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am

I do not believe you will find a 3 in a store right now. You will have to order one which takes around 10 days.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... amily/ipad
shoot'm in the lips
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:57 pm

There's not much difference between the 2 and the 3 except for the HD screen. I look at pictures and watch movies on the 2 all the time and they are very clear. I'm guessing facetime may be clearer with the 3 with the HD but the 2 will do everything you'll want it to over the next couple of years.

Download a couple of movies on the way to Jamaica.....you can watch them on the plane and cost less than $5 to rent and watch. Go buy you a splitter for the ipad/ipod headphones.....then you both can watch at the same time.
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Facetime is very nice. My problem is when I go out of town, my kids won't give up their Ipads so that we can use it.

I have to go to Gwood tonight for 2 nights and neither would relenquish their ipads. Guess just talking to dad is enough :(
There will be a day....
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 pm

I am going to go pick up the Ipad 2 in the next few days. Was going to go get it today but realized that we have joint everything money related and she is a hawk(actual accountant) when it comes to money. But money gives me a headache so I will just wait till closer to her bday and go pick it up. Thanks for the help.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”