If the season ended today....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
The Waterfowler
Veteran

If the season ended today....

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 pm

I would be happy! Has been an unreal season with the weather, early spring and all the complications involved with turkeys as a whole. I have never seen as many Easterns dying as I have seen this season. My two sons and I have had some memorable hunts in several states and I revel in the memories of them. I'm at the point in my life that seeing my sons succeed is paramount compared to my killing a bird as I've killed my share.

This past Sunday was maybe our last hunt as getting ready for Uruguay and Argentina is creeping up and I have birds to mount and work to do. But, boy what a great finish!

We had hunted hard in South Alabama for two days before our last morning yesterday. We had a bird all but killed Friday, but like any turkey hunt, things aren't always a sure thing. Que cera'!

After an almost mile walk on a very humid morning in the largest tract of land that I have ever hunted we arrived in a knee deep food plot that dropped off into a creek bottom and some nice hardwoods. Well, guess where the first gobble came from? Wasn't where we thought it would be coming from. A pine barren to our left that had been burned was the path we took going toward the distant and only gobble well past first light. These birds were hitting the ground well past sunrise for some reason and it gave us time to close the distance to within 100-150 yards. We ran out of real estate as we hit thick brush seperating us from the flat the bird was on and had to sit down as it was broad daylight. Glassing the distant trees I finally saw a limb move, then a tail, then a head as he gobbled again. Some 100 plus yards out he figited, strutted and gobbled as the sun rose. Stephen was unable to see all this as he was to my right and slightly ahead as we had planned. He thought the bird was already on the ground as the Longbeard answered his yelps to the pouint of cutting him off and we knew he had us on his GPS. It wasn't till he pitched down that Stephen realized he had been in the tree well past sun-up. The bird hit the ground at 6:30 and we could soon hear him drum, Stephen could hear him earlier then me and for me to hear one drum he has to be close. Real close! Looking throught the tangle of scrub and vines we both sought any movement. The drumming was both felt and heard now as the ground seemed to vibrate. All us turkey hunters have hopefully been in this situation and you know the feeling. A small brush covered rise in front of us gave way to a flat to Stephen's right as I watched him bear down on his stock with just a few imperceivable movements of the muzzle that let me know he was tracking him. I then saw a head step over the hump and drop down in the flat for my first glimpse of the bird. I almost felt the trigger pull as Stephen shot him at about 15 yards. Thirteen minutes from flydown to flopping was all it took. They say the Kentucky Derby is the most exciting two minutes in sports, but those that say that haven't turkey hunted much I suspect. I was just as happy with Stephen killing the longbeard as if I had myself. Come to think of it, part of me had!

This sure made the six hour drive a lot more pleasant.

Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Re: If the season ended today....

Postby aweyerman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Great read as usual. They've been gobbling and flying down very late all year here in my part of Bama. I had a few days there where they weren't flying down until after 7. Definitely been a great year without doubt.
TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
augustus_65
Veteran

Postby augustus_65 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Where about's in South Alabama were y'all hunting?
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Near Brewton on a little 60,000 acre club one of my duck camp members is in on.

We hunt the World!
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Dang Mr. Pat!! They ought to be able to have a good dog hunt over there. My wife is from Gilbertown which is just south of Butler. I hunt on the river from the Choctaw Refuge area to the paper mill in Pennington. Those birds down there can be tough depending on where you are at. The guys over here think MS get some pressure, but we don't know pressure like the SW corner of AL in my opinion. I killed a bird in Pennington last year on up in the day that wighed about 13 lbs and had needle sharp 1-1/4" spurs and he didn't hardly have a feather from the south end of his breast bone to the inside of his thighs. He was coal black and I feel like he was a special strain that had been there for a while!!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:57 pm

good read Pat.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
augustus_65
Veteran

Postby augustus_65 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:31 pm

The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Cedar Creek Club is all I know. Miles and miles of miles and miles.

We hunt the World!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”