What will you be planting in the garden this year?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
duckchur1
Veteran

What will you be planting in the garden this year?

Postby duckchur1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:11 pm

It's getting close to that time of year. I was just wanting to see how many of you plant a garden and what kind of variety will you have. I will have tomatoes (Kristi, Roma, Arkansas Travelers, Panzer, Better Boy, and Beefsteak), squash (crook neck and straight neck), eggplant, zucchini, okra, bell peppers, jalepenos, some other type of pepper (haven't made up my mind which one), cucumber, black eyed peas, pink eye purple hull peas, green beans, zipper cream peas, and Jackson Wonder butter beans. I can't wait to get started.
Gus Eifling
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Re: What will you be planting in the garden this year?

Postby aweyerman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm ready too. I needed to get it plowed under in the next week or so.
TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 am

Ive prepared my planting boxes...herbs, okra, maters, onions, carrots, peanuts, assorted peppers and pole beans. Setting one box aside for butterflys and hummingbirds :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
duckchur1
Veteran

Postby duckchur1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:08 pm

yeah i forgot all about my herbs. I built an onion box last year that was cool but I have a hookup this year on onions, so I will be planting coriander/cilantro, basil, dill, thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley, and lemon grass.
Gus Eifling
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 am

Yall are late by my terms. :)

Lets see:

2/26 - 30 Russet potatoes

3/4 - 80 white onions and 50 red potatoes

3/16 - Started 4 tastey treat cherry tomato, 25 bush big boy hybrid tomato, supersteak hybrid tomato, 6 strawberry

3/18 - 40 carrots

3/19 - 20 garden bean, 20 burpless cucumber, 20 sweet pepers

3/25 - started 16 Green Zebra Tomato

3/16 planting was from seeds indoors. 3/25 planting was seeds in containers outdoors.

Grandfather has corn that is 12" tall, okra and cucumbers breaking the ground in his 100' x 200' garden of which I have 3 rows in.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:44 am

Yeah, I broke the golden rule and planted before good Friday too. Planted tomatoes, okra, crooked neck squash, egg plant, zuccini, jalapenos,
bananna peppers. Small garden but all I need. May add to it later since it's still early.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:54 am

Alot of people go by Holy Week. However, the sooner you plant, the sooner you can replant if needed. Holy Week is just a representation of by then no more frosts will come. Pretty good representation too as I got an old pecan tree that is just pushing leaves out now. Few others around have had leaves out for two weeks now.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
duckchur1
Veteran

Postby duckchur1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:11 pm

I will be finished planting mine by Sunday hopefully. They have a % of rain for Saturday. I would have planted last week but with that storm that was coming, I got scared. Sometimes I use the rule of Good Friday, but have found the cotton planting rule the best. You look at the democrats fishing. If they are sitting on a 5 gallon bucket, it is too early to plant. Once you see that big butt sit straight on the ground, let er rip. I saw 4 sitting flat on the ground fishing yesterday. Time to plant.
Gus Eifling
southernfire97
Veteran

Postby southernfire97 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Planted on 3/21. Planted Homestead 24 tomatoes, green, red and orange bell peppers, TAM and hot Jalapenos, squash, zucchinni and eggplant( don't remember the varieties off the top of my head) and Georgia sweet onions. The Okra will go in when it gets hotter. I have never went by Good Friday as a plant day. I've always went by the Almanac, which goes off the Lunar cycle. Figured if it works for animals, why not for plants. Always had a bountiful crop.
CUT EM BOYS!!!
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:34 pm

" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:44 pm

boiled peanuts are the nastiest things on earth. I've debated taking a stab at peanuts, but I am not sure on how to roast them (see above comment concerning boiling).

Not a big user of the Almanac, but I remember my grandfather always getting one. I've simply always known the lunar cycle as: plants that produce above ground, plant on a full moon and plants that produce below ground, plant on a new moon.

What variety of okra yall plant? My grandfather plants Texas Longhorn and my office neighbor plants the cowhorn. I heard about a variety that stays short and is great for frying, but couldn't ask the variety to find out what kind. My grandfather and I like us some boiled okra, so we tend to pick them small anyway.

Anyone do the seeds indoor?

What about hydroponics, anyone ever taken a stab at that? Thinking of giving this a try this winter once I get my new duck coop built and convert the existing one into a greenhouse.

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
duckchur1
Veteran

Postby duckchur1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:10 am

Gus Eifling
Bourbon
Duck South Addict

Postby Bourbon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:04 am

Got Roma, Talladega and Best Boy tomotoes, green and yellow bell peppers, cucumbers, spineless okra (don't remember variety), zucchini, squash and cantaloupe. Plus one eggplant and one jalapeno pepper.

Planted two weeks ago. So far, so good. Also, put in the garden water sprinkler system from Lowes and it works great. You can add additional sprinkler heads. The startup was around $50 with a few extra sprinkler heads.

This is the one. First year using, so will try to update how it does.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71218-1029-MLK-81_4294778701__?productId=1256539&Ntt=sprinkler&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Garden%2BCenter_4294778701__s%3FNtt%3Dsprinkler&facetInfo=
GEAUX TIGERS
HeKing
Veteran

Postby HeKing » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:21 am

no garden this year. The whole moving 2 states away in May puts a big damper on that. Looking forward to having one next year.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”