a perfect dove field.?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
judge jb
Duck South Addict

a perfect dove field.?

Postby judge jb » Mon Jul 02, 2001 7:08 pm

what would you concider a perfect field too shoot doves? i say food, water, shade and a power line...... i know we can hear some good ones out of this......

judge jb
Black_Dawg
Veteran

a perfect dove field.?

Postby Black_Dawg » Mon Jul 02, 2001 7:19 pm

some gun shots-----and very good dog work. thats what it's all about on my end! Oh and having fun! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
LabLuvR
Veteran

a perfect dove field.?

Postby LabLuvR » Mon Jul 02, 2001 7:24 pm

Everything you mentioned Judge, then add a good grilling/bbq area and a Makers Mark pouring bench/shed and you don't really need nuthin else! Except maybe me to help harvest some of them aggravating birds. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Welldoggie
Veteran

a perfect dove field.?

Postby Welldoggie » Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:56 pm

Judge, I'd have to add a lone dead stob or dead tree on the edge of the field, preferably on a point or corner where two fields connect. For some reason, a dead stick looks like a good place to stop over.

[img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img] can't wait for fried doves with biscuits and molasses
HDC
Veteran

a perfect dove field.?

Postby HDC » Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:54 pm

Found the perfect dove field last year.

All it takes is severe drought conditions and the only water for miles around. We hunted a slough that had almost dried up leaving a water hole about 50 feet long by 15 feet wide and surrounded by dried up mud flats.

One of the best hunts that I have ever had.
h2o_dog
Duck South Addict

a perfect dove field.?

Postby h2o_dog » Tue Jul 10, 2001 3:58 pm

A corn field recently cut for SILAGE with wheat sowed over it, power transmission line right down the middle, and a creek at one end.

I have many fond memories (and quite a few bruised shoulders) of this deadly combination when I was a kid, and I can't imagine a better scenario.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

a perfect dove field.?

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 10, 2001 4:45 pm

A whole bunch of winter wheat spread all over the ground and no Game Warden's sittin in the edge of the field!HEHEHE
No in all reality, I like a nice cut field of wheat or corn maybe some milo or millet mixed in. Then a bunch of good ol' boys or gals relaxin' w/ a big BBQ before hand and then a big beer fest after the fact.
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

a perfect dove field.?

Postby RedEyed Duck » Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:35 pm

I would have to say that each and every one of these fields sound great. Fortunately the field that we hunt has powerlines, a dead tree in one of the corners and a small pond covered up by a bunch of small oak and maple trees. Oh, it also has corn on it this year and there will be a few rows cut for silage. Good luck to all, I wish September 1 was this weekend.....
Unkljohn
Duck South Addict

a perfect dove field.?

Postby Unkljohn » Thu Jul 12, 2001 8:45 am

I'm hoping it's the one I've got planted now. I planted about 4 acres with a mix of Egyptian wheat,Brown top millet,Sunflowers, and Corn. It's right behind my lake and borders a fence row on the back side, with 3 or 4 dead trees. I think it's going to be pretty good [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”