Shotgun question....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Ster
Veteran

Shotgun question....

Postby Ster » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 am

I am in the market for a new shotgun for waterfowl. I know what brand and model I will be getting but was debating on the barrel length. What are the advantages of a 28 inch barrel over a 26 inch barrel and vise versa? thanks
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Re: Shotgun question....

Postby LawDawg » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:49 am

the barrel length has been discussed ad nauseum here before. do a search.

as far as brands, shoulder as many as you can and get the one that feels right. Unless you get some crazy off brand, they are all going to cycle shells correctly.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:54 am

buy a Benellie super 90 if you can find one.

it will do it all, and out do all the rest
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
bottomland84

Postby bottomland84 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 am

If you want a 1300 dollar waterfowl killin machine buy my Browning Gold 3.5 inch 26 inch barrel for 700. Its in perfect condition. They dont make em like that anymore.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 am

Some folks say there is a big difference, and to really top notch shooters maybe there is, but I have 22", 26", and 28" guns and I can't tell a significant difference between any of them except that I can shoulder and point the 22" one much faster than the others.
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:53 am

It is easier to point a long stick accurately than a short one...same principle applies to shotguns to an extent. But, between the two barrel lengths you are talking about their is not much difference...don't go cheap and if you shoot a lot there are only two brands of auto I would own. Otherwise make sure you have a backup gun....
"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts

Return to “General Discussion Forum”