Fish Feeders

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Fish Feeders

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 am

I am working on redoing a fishing lake, getting fish stocked tomorrow.

i am interested in purchasing a couple of fish feeders, i would like to have some that i can set on a platform on the bank, that way it will be easier to feed.

i looked at the sweeny feeders and they are very high $$.

anybody that is local that make a directional feeder?

Thanks,

JD
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Todd D
Regular

Re: Fish Feeders

Postby Todd D » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:28 am

I know there are a lot of different fish feeders out there, but I bought a Sweeney 6 years ago and have been very pleased. It is a galvanized, directional feeder that holds approx 100 lbs of corn and about 75 lbs of fish food. I use this feeder year around and have never had one problem with it. I use it from Feb through August on my pond and then feed deer corn with it in the fall and winter. It runs off of a 12 volt closed cell battery and has a solar panel for recharging. I am now on my 3rd battery, but the feeder works just as it did the first day I turned it on.
One of my friends bought 2 fish feeders from Moultrie that were under $200 each and he has had to have both repaired.
Remember, these things are in the weather all year long, do yourself a favor and spend the money up front on a quality feeder and you will not be sorry. Not saying you have to drop the money on a Sweeney to get a good feeder, but I have been very happy with mine.
cootkiller
Veteran

Postby cootkiller » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Moultrie makes a directional feeder. I have had one for going on two years and works great.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. -Mark Twain
maverick21
Veteran

Postby maverick21 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 am

Sweeney is worth the money.
bigsprig
Veteran

Postby bigsprig » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:04 pm

i can promise you that the sweeney is well worth it. we have been using them for probably about 20 years and started using the directional feeders when they came out. one of mine sits on the dam of a very deep hole (23ft straight down) and got knocked into the pond in 1997. i dove down and hooked it with my winch cable and brought it up. i dried it out and replaced the battery, solar charger and keypad. cleaned and dried the brushes in the motor and it still runs like a top today. we have fooled with other brands along the way but they cannot compare.

fyi: i ordered a new charger and some batteries last week and they are having their annual 25% off sale right now so instead of 700 its 525 for a feeder.
HRCH Cottonpatch Augustus McCrae MH -Gus
Cottonpatch Gus' Ace of Spades MH -Ace
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm

we got four feeders from the coop two years back. I can't remember the name, but I know they were $200-250 each. All four are still working today.
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
mts68
Regular

Postby mts68 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 pm

We've been running the same three sweeney's for 7 years and have never had a problem. Other than changing the batteries a few times we've never done anything to them. Well worth the money IMO
Sprangletop1
Veteran

Postby Sprangletop1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:23 am

I have some sweeneys over 12 years old. only work done to them is new batteries and solar charger upgrade
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:32 am

http://texashunter.com/difife1.html

i just ordered the big one of these with the solar charger
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 am

JD,

I have been running and thus not chimed in. I have extensive experience with Sweeney's. I would say more than the entire board combined. Sweeney's are good machines. However, there are other good machines for less. Texas Hunter makes a very good product for less money. Additionally there are other feeders that may need some love occasionally, but are far less expensive.

The most important thing to remember when choosing a fish feeder is to get a directional model. 2nd most important make sure it has a solar charger.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner

Return to “General Discussion Forum”