Thought i had heard it all

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Copiah Creek
Duck South Sponsor

Thought i had heard it all

Postby Copiah Creek » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 am

First i like any dog game period ! But was training with some friends and a fellow showed up to train . (WE) were training for the double master next week AKC , no biggy he only want to do HRC . Cool we get him a gun and poppers and tell him what ever order he wants and run from where he wants .

We had a angle entry water blind and a key hole land blind ........still no big deal or so i think . Now i ran finished with him at our test last weekend so he has a finished level dog . He refused to run the long mark and refused the water blind , and i could care less .

But when he said AKC promotes bad habits i almost spit coke out my nose . I may be wrong but he is an IDIOT ! He inform me that by not talking to your dog during the marks your dog cant mark , and the water blind was a bad habit .....the correct way to run the blind was on land down the side and stop the dog and give an over (never) even getting his feet wet .

And he cant wait to run the GRAND to show how good his dog is !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want some HONEST opinions on this PLEASE ......as he got mad at us and took is toys and went home . I know most on here are HRC to the core but do you think AKC promotes bad habits ?
HRCH UH Hope Spring's Dowry MH*** aka Fatty
HRCH UH Hill Top's Stealing Cinderella MH aka Punkin
HRCH Gator Point's Swamp Water MH aka Rain
Big R
Veteran

Re: Thought i had heard it all

Postby Big R » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:32 am

NO, the AKC does not promote Bad Habits!!!! When I ran AKC Hunt Test and then went to the Field Trials we trained our dogs wether it be a Blind or Marks to go from Point A to Point B in the straightest possible line, period. Cheating on a water marks or blinds would get my dogs a Shock, followed by a very LOUD NO and then HERE.....

Just my $0.02...
If you can't hunt it with a dog, I don't want to hunt it..........
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:59 am

Running AKC tests will not hurt an HRC dog. That's totally silly. Dogs mark off wingers going off just like they do a gunshot. Sounds like dude was looking at a test he knew his dog could not do, and went the "punk out" route rather than actually train the dog and put a better dog back on the truck than he got off the truck. Good luck to him with running the bank and then giving an "over" on a water blind in EITHER the AKC or HRC games.

Was this the same guy who went off on Mr. Squirrel at Amite that HRC was "ruining hunting dogs" by requiring "progress to the blind?"
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Trykon
Veteran

Postby Trykon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 am

This guy is off his rocker! If anything training for Master will make a stronger HRC dog. He better start training long birds and a lot of water blinds before the grand.
GRENADA MAFIA
GRHRCH UH Kennington's Max MH
HR Kennington's Is That All Ya Got

www.maximumpotentialretrievers.com
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:35 am

Or, on second thought, the dude could have just been yanking Allan's chain..... :lol:

HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 pm

HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Cat Squirrel
Veteran

Postby Cat Squirrel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 pm

GRHRCH UH Maya and Guinness***
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Running the bank shows the dog is intelligent.....conserves body heat....
ducktrooper
Regular

Postby ducktrooper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:08 am

My guess is the guy based his training approach from Milner's book which advocates running land to key dog warmer. As far as blinds, well....who knows. His dog won't make it.
You can't kill 'em if you're sleeping in bed!
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Actually running any hunt test can cause bad habits. Hunting too. All of our dogs would be better off of we didnt test or hunt them. Just train. Of course why would we train if that wuz the case? Ha travis

Return to “General Discussion Forum”