Levee Board Still Trying to Drain the Delta

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
HDC
Veteran

Levee Board Still Trying to Drain the Delta

Postby HDC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:56 am

Noticed in today's paper that the Board of Ms. Levee Commissioners has gone all the way to the U.S. 5th Circuit court of appeals in an attempt to force the federal government to waste more money on the abandonded Yazoo Backwater Project. Hope the 5th Circuit shoots them down!

By the way, where does the Board of Ms. Levee Commissioners get the money to pay lawyers to file and pursue suits like this? I sure hope my taxes aint paying for it.

Also, other than the COE getting another project to justify its existence, who stands to make all the money if this stupid project ever gets approved and moves forward? I suspect it is wealthy land owners and private construction companies that would be hired to build the thing.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Re: Levee Board Still Trying to Drain the Delta

Postby hillhunter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:10 pm

My understanding is that the MS Levee Board is funded by tax dollars from the delta counties only.
work hard, play hard
farmerc83
Duck South Addict

Postby farmerc83 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:57 am

Is the Yazoo Backwater project the plan to install pumps at the Steele Bayou structure to keep the south Delta from flooding? Guess they think they have a better case after last year's flooding.
The two loudest sounds in the world are a BANG when you expect a CLICK and a CLICK when you expect a BANG.
redspeckable
Veteran

Postby redspeckable » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:24 pm

BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:59 pm

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Also, other than the COE getting another project to justify its existence, who stands to make all the money if this stupid project ever gets approved and moves forward? I suspect it is wealthy land owners and private construction companies that would be hired to build the thing.

Tell us how you really feel...................
I guess any project for drainage or flood control is stupid according to you. I don't have a dog in the backwater pump project but l voice my opinion about flood control projects in general.

I guess Nobody wants a:
pump project unless it keeps water out of their house, towns,farms, roads,etc

levee unless it keeps rivers from overflowing their banks and keeps water off of their house, towns, farms, roads,etc.

headwater dams unless it keeps free flowing runoff from getting in their house, towns, farms, roads,etc

river and harbor dredge projects unless is keeps the flow of goods and materials from getting to an fro so that jobs can be maintained and finished products can be produced (to carry and use at your house,town,farm,etc.)

I am 1000% certain of one thing. If i knew (or cared) where you live and work, i can find more than a dozen projects within 4 miles of your house that i think are stupid,a total waste of government money, and some fat cat and/or contractor got rich on putting in a project that doesn't benefit me one damn bit.
Another thing i am pretty certain of...............you aren't paying land taxes in the delta.
And something else............how far down stream of that stupid ass reservoir do you live? I sure hope my tax money didn't go toward the construction of that. O wait, it actually did because there is a flood control levee project in your town. Guess who cost shared on it?
Have a nice day :D
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 pm

:idea: Well put, Novocaine! :D
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
mille011
Veteran

Postby mille011 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Novocaine and BR549 are right on with both of their comments.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:34 pm

duckinhard

Postby duckinhard » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:31 am

There is a math equation for the money thats involved in each aspect the YBP brings to the table...on both sides. But, at this point its really not needed because of this. Lucky for us we have now seen first hand the pushed limit of which the riverside of the main and backwater levee will hold. As far as the south delta side of the levees /pump theory goes, from what I've read, studied, etc...it is a waste of money as the pumps would not be used annually but the annual maintenace cost would remain the same...which by the way would be in the ballpark of the annual risk cost associated with lost crops, etc that could continue to be exposed without the YBP becoming a finished product.
1-Set the annual cost aside for subsidies to the ones that do take the risk in the exposed areas. Each year they win, reinvest that money and let it ride/grow.
2-Spend money beefing up all exisiting levees and finish the ones that have been start that would have a positive effect upon another water level as the past springs
3-Don't build new structures in any area that flooded this past spring or within a few hundred yards of where the flood waters rose to, but if inclinded to do so use proper elevation (not a guess)....spend the proper amount to have certified. Not FEMA....an engineer from the privite sector.
4-If your primary home is within the areas that did flood or very close to the areas, build a protection levee around it "now",not when the water are coming
5- Insure properly
Past this, we will never out smart mother nature, so the YBP should be put to rest, both sides quit pointing fingers...and all of us start worrying more with where the $%#& this country is headed right now with the current administration in charge.
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:21 pm

duckinhard

Postby duckinhard » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:57 pm

So all my points were wrong? Or could you be a little more specific. I never said the YBP was not a good idea, if money was not a problem I would say build away and as quick as possible. I well know what the addition of rain would have done along with the head waters back in the spring and I can assure you this...if a lot of rain had dumped in MS in late April or early May x 3 would have happened. But guess what, those man made pumps would have not done a thing about the present....yes, the pumps would help get it out on the back end and that theory can not be denied.

Again, read "most" of my last comment to get my point. BTW...I've got plenty of interest in the south Delta....just as much as I do for the well being of where I live in Madison county. You however probably live in your little world of thinking that area is all that matters....based off how quick you were to fire back at what's "incorrect" about what I stated...without being specific.

I can promise I ain't against you brother.
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:20 pm

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:38 pm

ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
DanP