Levee Board Still Trying to Drain the Delta

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
HDC
Veteran

Re: Levee Board Still Trying to Drain the Delta

Postby HDC » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Who pays the lawyers to pursue the appeal and who gets rich if the Levee Board wins? The key to understanding this whole issue is to follow the money.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:18 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
JMitch
Veteran

Postby JMitch » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:24 pm

"If its not loaded, its just an expensive stick."
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:38 pm

The problem was all the snow way up North, that sent so much water down the MS. And a few heavy rains in the Lower MS basin that put the river in the red.

If one or two of the FCR had received way above normal rainfall and had their emergency spillways in operation, things would have been much different on the landside of the mainline levee.

Once those FCRs EMER spillways are in operation, dude, we are at the mercy of the good lord, we are already.
Bottom line is the pumps need to be installed and in place for the time when the river is high from the snow up North and excessive rain in the lower MS basin or our FCRs.

The corp has done a dang good job, and has a way better idea of what needs to be done. The corp already has pumping stations in place on the AR side and in TN.
As far as who builds it, the corp bends over backwards to help local folks get these kind of jobs. Even if somebody from another state got the job, locals would be hired to build it and local materials would be used, hotels etc.

The OP needs to wake up, drain the delta, ha, whatever!!!! Exactly what enviormentalists want you to think!! Stupid!!
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Solution: Build/farm on the high ground.

Hunt and fish the low ground.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Veteran

Postby 1010 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 pm

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:08 am

Veteran

Postby 1010 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:48 am

Ha I will admit I have :lol: at many of his posts. And insiteful. On the other hand, Either he is sarcastic or has know clue how the lower MS

valley watershed works. IDK everything.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:04 pm

digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm gonna be the fly in the ointment,the delta flood's that's the way the Lord ment for it to be.I don't want to see or hear of anybody loseing their house or anything but a delta is a flood plain.I live in the hill's and our county is in the back water's of 1 of the fcr and we have lost thousand's of acers of farm land that have gone back to thicket's because of the corp.My taxes could be lower if not for all the corp land in my county, we would have more tillable ground that would bring more money to my community.I gusses for some to benifit some have to suffer just because you live on the lower end don't think it's all rosey on the upper end.
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:30 pm

digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Not at all I don't like for anyone to suffer.I don't want to sound like an ass because talking on this thing make's it sound like that sometimes.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 am

I dont have a dog in this fight, but to me, the Delta, is The Delta, because it floods...............thats what makes it so special. It's not the most fertile dirt in the country because it has stayed dry all its life. I understand that people have made a home there, and I do not wish loss of proprty on anyone, but there is still alot of land left in the Delta that doesnt flood(anymore).

And my opinion isnt based upon recreational use, but rather the cost approach versus return on investment.
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:24 pm

I've made this point in previous posts, but land use decisions being made today (and for quite some time now) are poor. And these decisions are enabled and taxpayer subsidized by dredging, levees, pumps, etc. (things that enable land to be developed/farmed that otherwise would be undesirable for development/farming). Then once the poor land use decision has been enabled and made, there develops a sense of entitlement to the things that enabled the land to be developed/farmed. And along with that entitlement mentality, a false sense of security and unreasonable expectation that flooding should/will not occur. And then the inevitable happens --- the low ground floods anyway, despite the best efforts of man. And the fingers start pointing to someone at fault --- anyone, of course, other than the dumbarse who made the poor land use decision, decided to develop/farm on the low ground, and mistakenly thought that man could conquer and tame mother nature. And that biatch always gets the last laugh.

Yes, many of you can point to an endless example of dubious projects that have benefited a few, at the expense of the many. And there are examples of such that have likely benefitted, at some level, most all of us at some time or another. But, that does not make such policies an efficient and wise use of taxpayer dollars, nor does it prevent all of the bad unintended consequences --- like the once fertile Delta soil not getting regularly replenished with silt; the silting in of the Gulf of Mexico due to the channelization/dredging of the MS River and its tributaries ---the silt and impurities in the water do not get a chance to soak into the inland ground and instead flow out into the Gulf creating an ever growing dead zone; flood events, when they occur, become that much more disasterous; etc. etc. At what point do we say enough?

But hey, what does this dumbarse really know about anything? Certainly not enough to sway the opinions of all you really "smert" folks. :wink: We just must have more levees, more pumps, and more dredging....we must...or....or....what really? Are our Rivers not deep enough? the levees not high enough? the pumps not plentiful or strong enough? And if we could only get more people to develop/farm/live on flood plain property, placing them in harm's way of periodic flooding..... then we could spend even more millions and billions bailing them out (no pun intended) when the next inevitable flood disaster happens ---after all, our government has borrowed money to burn. So, that is why I say the simple solution is to "build/farm high, play low" (kinda like the secret to getting rich: "buy low, sell high") Carry on.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”