New York City do's and dont's

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Long Cut
Veteran

Re: New York City do's and dont's

Postby Long Cut » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 pm

tried to post this earlier but it didnt work. If you are a Saturday Night live Fan then take the NBC studio tour, you will get to hang out around the stage area and experience what you see on tv. It was cool to see all the pictures of the old school SNL stars like Belushi, Chase Martin Radner etc. Also call ahead and get letterman tickets if he is taping when you are there.
Dont make yourself a crime target. If you are from the south your accent will already give you away as a tourist but coupled with the fact that many 1st timers stand, look up and gawk at the buildings and other sights while taking picture after picture they will pick you out so be careful. I second ground zero, been there when it was still smoking in nov 2001 and then again in 2006. You need to see it.
UGAReb
Regular

Postby UGAReb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 pm

I second the advice about a Broadway show. Even if it's not your thing, find one you might possibly like, and you'll probably have a good time. Not sure if The Producers is running, but it's a funny show (Mel Brooks).

Ground Zero, Times Square--these are must-see.

Not sure about the night life since the last time I was there, I was on a school trip as a senior in HS.

One thing I noticed--almost everybody wears black (or dark-colored) winter coats there. If you want to blend in, just wear black, gray, dark brown or dark blue. Bring a suit and tie, depening on what you want to do at night.
country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:31 pm

mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Eat at Carmine's with the gang. http://www.carminesnyc.com/locations/uwny/index.php
They bring out portions that would feed two! Y'all can get a few entrees and sample. Good stuff and a big ol salad to start with for the whole table to boot. Ground Zero, Nat. Science Museum.
Go to Katzs Deli on Houston(pronounced House-ton) for lunch. Great pastrami! http://katzsdelicatessen.com/
Times Square has a Hard Rock. TGIFridays a few blocks from Times Square for drinks and quick eats.
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
UGAReb
Regular

Postby UGAReb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 pm

hotty toddy
Duck South Addict

Postby hotty toddy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Oyster bar in grand central, best food I had up there. Huge menu, you can thank me later.
BE STILL, HERE THEY COME, BE STILL!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yeah, I got TP..........2 dollars a square"
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Shake Shack, Madison Square Park.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Jelly
Duck South Addict

Postby Jelly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Why is my mouth so dry this morning, when I drank so much last night?
Hays Creek
Veteran

Postby Hays Creek » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:49 pm

rsfavor
Regular

Postby rsfavor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Where are you staying and for how long are you there?

Definitely check out the Museum of National History on the Upper West Side. After, Central Park is right across the street and is very much worth walking through.

Upper East Side- Check out Madison Avenue. All of the high end stores. This is also where the Beretta store is. Somewhere around Madison and E70th. Fao Schwartz is a cool store- remember the big piano from the movie Big? You can get on it and play it. No charge.

Times Square- A pretty cool place. Go there at nite. After dark for sure. It is quite a site.

Diamond Row- W47 between 5th & 6th Ave. Only one or two blocks long. Lots of bid diamonds and great place to people watch.

Little Italy/Chinatown- Very near each other. The bigger Chinatown gets, the smaller Little Italy becomes. Good inexpensive food in each.

Meatpacking District- Kind of far downtown. 8th ave around W14th. Lots of good bars and restaurants. This is where Tiger Woods got busted with his girlfriend

Lots more....Wall Street, Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty, etc....Just depends on how long you are there.

Get a subway map and get the subway pass at one of the kiosks. Probably start with $20 on the card. City is very walkable. I only use the subway if going a long distance.
riverat
Veteran

Postby riverat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Best advice i got while there from a local was to walk at least three blocks away from either side of time square and find a place to eat. Any place that has been open for more than a year will be good because the bad ones don't make it a year. Prices are very affordable and time square tourists traps will break you.

Go down around NYU and the theatre district if you are in college to find the good local bars and eats. i think it's down around 8th street, best time we had was down there eating and boozing.
feather
Veteran

Postby feather » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Here's something NOT to do. Don't go down to Little Italy on the night you do a Broadway show and eat garlicky mussels/clams and linguine and then go to the show. Why? Because you'll belch noxious clouds of stink all thru the show. got the t-shirt.
"Locked, cocked and ready to rock, doc"..Ted Nugent
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:42 pm

we may cross paths on saturday...going to visit the wife in princeton, nj and we're hitting some touristy locations in nyc on saturday (empire state building-*best advice is to go ahead and buy the VIP/express pass to top*).

thought about going to "the book of mormon", but cheapest tix til april are $350 each..William shatner doesn't start until 14th, so no broadway this trip...can't say i'm that disappointed, honestly.

y'all have fun, and if i hear a familiar accent, i'll say "hay, how'ya doin"...
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:54 pm

-Catch a Broadway Show
-Top of the rock
-Not sure when your going but you have to apply for SNL tickets in august
- Cabs are super $$$$
- The tour bus passes are ok but really kinda suck
-The subway system is super easy to learn and super cheap definitely the best mode of transportation and safe as long as your not taking them out of Manhattan. If your going to any of the other boroughs pay for a cab.
-Lombardi's pizza on spring street (take cash, no cards)
-Ground Zero
-Central Park
-Joe G's Italian restaurant on 56th street.
-the street numbers increase as you go north, the avenue numbers increase as you go west
-Dont go north of 95 street, or you will find yourself in harlem, the rest of manhattan is fairly safe
-Dont chew the gum on the sidewalk it's not free candy
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:59 pm

We are staying in hotel St James March 4-8. This is good stuff.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”