bow hunting turkeys

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
J.Luke
Veteran

bow hunting turkeys

Postby J.Luke » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Just wondering how many people on here turkey hunt with a bow. I've made a promise to myself this year not to pick the gun up until I kill one with a bow
bottomland84

Re: bow hunting turkeys

Postby bottomland84 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 pm

duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:16 pm

On the other hand, my goal is to first get one with a gun, then try with my bow. Only problem I see is that I will have to hunt from somewhat an immoble ground blind versus being very mobile with gun.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm going bow this year, no blind. my theory is that having another person calling is going to be key to any success.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 am

and I want to back up the guy calling for Lawdawg! because Dawg probably hunts with some really good hunters on some really nice ground! I am tired of stomping around Sardis, Champ owns those woods and Jake St John is up here now!
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
SNEAKER
Veteran

Postby SNEAKER » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:38 am

Ive tried it a bunch, with no success. Well, I did get drawn back on one 2 years ago (40 yards), which is a pretty big step. You can take it 10 days in a row, then take your gun the next day and you'll have one strutting at 20 yards (has happened to me). I'll probably take it some this year, but i still thouroughly enjoy shooting them with a gun.
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Postby vicksburg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 am

Several years ago, probably in the late 90's, i tried it. I didn't use a blind, or decoys. Hunted just like normal, except instead of sitting in front of a big tree, i got on my knees behind it. We have BIG oaks that would hide your whole body. I peeked around the tree till it was time, drew the bow, and would lean out and fling. Killed a jake the first time i tried it. A few days later i killed a 2 year old. But a few days later i stuck a nice longbeard at 15 yards and lost him. Shot looked perfect, but he took flight and flew out of the country. I put the bow up after that. I hate loosing one. So, it IS do-able. Good luck.
>>>>--------------------------------->

Quinn
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:40 am

Ai have killed very few birds outside 20 yards. my game plan is pretty simple, I like to call them up to a strutting Tom decoy while I am positioned in my hunting stool to take that shot on my left side. I prefer to call the bird up from my backside, let him work to Tom to fight or strut or both. when his head is concealed, I draw and shoot. I shoot a recurve so I can draw and shoot instinctive or gap as fast or long as I need be out to about 30 seconds. I don't use any camo except a homemade cape from a minnow sain (sp). I have a bow shield attached sometimes to my bow that can hide my draw when multiple birds come in with multiple eyes.....but none of this works unless you can remain absolutely still with a drumming spitting bird at 10 yards most time. compound hunters could lengthen that to out to 30 yards but my range is 18 and in. I shoot a single bevel razor sharp cut on contact head. I shoot through every bird with a 650 gr arrow.....my recurve pulls about 60 -67 lbs ..I forgot how much it was when I made it. I use the best decoys I can.. I have owned all of them..stutters,blow ups etc...DSD strutting Tom is the best with homemade fan....I'll the featured speaker at the Comptons Traditional Bowhunter Jamborree Feb 25 if any of ya ll are near Tannahill State Park outside Birmingham. I will have all my props and gear with me and love to answer your questions... hunting turkeys blindness is not easy! But very rewarding.
Last edited by swamprooter on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.Luke
Veteran

Postby J.Luke » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks for the feedback. Im thinking ground blind and b mobile. Also thinking of building a few blinds around my place. It's gonna be difficult but rewarding.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:19 pm

I try it every year when I go to Texas. I'll miss a couple, get pissed, and hunt with a gun the rest of the time. My dad has shot a few now with his bow. It's one thing to do it in Texas where you can mess up a couple opportunities and still get your limit with your gun in a 3 day trip. But I have yet to try it on easterns. At least where I'm hunting now. I'm fortunate to shoot a couple where I hunt in Tennesseee a season with my gun.

If I had a place where there were good numbers of birds, and where they roosted at the same place fairly often, then I'd be more inclined to set up on them. Who knows. If I get a couple early this year, I might try with a bow. Tennessee you can shoot jakes. I wouldn't be too proud to shoot a jake with my bow.

Here's a couple videos I've made turkey hunting in Texas.

Me missing birds with my bow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_-oC4-akc

My dad shooting a nice bird with his bow (sorry about the quality. It was my old camera):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-q6SoMsfM
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

j Luke .. I live in Oxford too so if you need any more help just pm me. Be glad to show you my setup...good luck!
Beldenreb
Regular

Postby Beldenreb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey Swamp or any other bowhunter, I'll volunteer to go as a camera guy (backup gun just in case you wound one). Just let me know. :mrgreen:
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 pm

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”