Benelli freezing up?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Re: Benelli freezing up?

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:22 am

Freezing up in mississippi, in these temps should never happen. when i lived in MO we would hunt in single digit temps, with highs in the teens. i never had freeze ups with my sbe1.

don't oil the gun, have you ever put olive oil in the fridge? it gets thicker the colder it gets and slows the gun down.

i clean mine just like this every year, fill a 5 gal bucket bout half full of water, add dawn dish shop and scrub the piss out of everything, i use a 3m pad on the parts in the stock, i blow it dry with my compressor, i take a rag with a little breakfree sprayed on it and just wipe it all down and re-assemble.

i only clean mine once a year.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:58 am

It's dirty or not broke in. Take it all the way apart (recoil spring) If it's not closing all the way it's because there is crap in the recoil spring tube. Get a wolf +25% spring for 8 bucks and be done with it. RUN IT DRY ON COLD TEMPS!!!!!!! WD 40 is not for guns use clp
Roach
Duck South Addict

Postby Roach » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:05 am

PWS
Veteran

Postby PWS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:44 am

This is a quote straight out of an Army TM it’s for a 240B machine gun but it the same for our shot guns. I use CLP on my SBE II never had a problem with a freeze up in cold temperatures.

“LSAT,LSA and CLP are the authorized lubricants to use on you 240B at normal temperatures up to -10 F (-23 C). At temperatures below -10F (-23C) use LSA.”

I know you can buy CLP/Break Free almost any where not so sure about the LSAT or the LSA.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 am

And it just takes a little bit. Spray on a cloth wipe on. You boys spraying that stuff all over the place, hahahahahaha.
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:07 am

Like others said, the recoil spring tube in the stock is probably your problem, I took a bore brush and drill with a cleaning rod section so i could polish the tube, may sure the spring is clean, also make sure you polish the smalll plunger piece that goes into the tube first, it's contact surface that rides inside the tube will bind and not let it cycle properly. Or if you want buy a Sure Cycle and put in it. Just the detail cleaning fixed mine,,,good luck. Google removal of recoil spring and will find pictures and detailed instructions also.
I'm Retired, leave me alone
Dr. B
Veteran

Postby Dr. B » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks for the tips guys. The first time it happened this year I took it apart and it was filthy. So it got a good scrubbing and worked flawlessly. I've had the gun for about 7 years and it's been known to do this several times always on mornings when temps in 20's. I've taken it down and cleaned it good since the weekend and so far, no problems. If the gun didn't "fit" and feel so good, I would have sold it by now.

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15 am

GET THE WOLF +25% SPRING. You need a new spring
jar0023
Veteran

Postby jar0023 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:38 pm

It's mostly been covered, but i'll chime in anyway. Throw your Remoil away or learn to use it on the outside of your gun only. Remoil gets thicker as in gets cold. When clean your SBE make sure you clean and lube the recoil spring in the stock. Other than the ejector plates on the older guns it's the only thing that wears out. Run it wet with CLP.

My SBE has been hunted hard for 12+ seasons. It's still running on the original recoil spring. It will cycle 1oz promo as well as heavy 3.5" loads. After a dry hunt I wipe it down. After a wet hunt I hose it down with CLP. Every couple of cases I break it down for a full cleaning.

I can count the number of malfunctions on my fingers. Most of those were due to bad ammo or mud in the action.

I firmly understand the plural of anecdote is not data, but I won't be changing shotguns anytime soon.

J
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Dr. B,,,+4000 on it fits so keep it
I'm Retired, leave me alone
southernfire97
Veteran

Postby southernfire97 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Thats why I still, and will always, shoot an 870!!!!!!!!
CUT EM BOYS!!!
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:45 pm

I've read where the guys in Argentina that clean the guns daily following 1000 rounds per gun clean with nothing but diesel fuel - never tried it but I'll trust those guys.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:45 pm

I've read where the guys in Argentina that clean the guns daily following 1000 rounds per gun clean with nothing but diesel fuel - never tried it but I'll trust those guys.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
Gumbo
Veteran

Postby Gumbo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Benellis like to be clean and don't like oil
As long as you keep them that way they will last longer than you
He's comin' back around...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”