You might be Old School if.....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Roach
Duck South Addict

Re: You might be Old School if.....

Postby Roach » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:55 am

msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:57 am

I like that ol hump back (2nd from the rt.).....weve got one at the house that was my grandfathers.
SHERMANATOR
Roach
Duck South Addict

Postby Roach » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:58 am

TWR
Regular

Postby TWR » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:06 am

brucegoose made me cry...he has reached the pinnacle or the ephipany, if you will, of the hunting experience; it just doesn't get any better than that. Thanks
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:11 am

[/quote]
I needs me one of those hats!
But I ain't wearin no tie to go huntin![/quote]
Now that is old school!!!!!!!!! Those are true waterfowlers with ties and hats. That was the attire back in the day.I'll bet those are the uninsulated green hippers with the yellow band at the top.Back then you had to be a tough son of a gun and really love it to duck hunt.Post more of that old stuff. It's cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:26 am

Ive put these on before so for the one's who have seen em sorry.

This was uncle pots camp that he and the big dogs stayed in. It had heat and lights. My dad and his wild ars friends from state had the pleasure of sleeping in the general bunk house that if you wanted to light a match you had to do it under your shirt it was so drafty. Notice the green roll roofing. Dont see that much anymore.

Every day the cook would have a thermos of coffee and coffee cups (which had to warmed in the oven per pots orders) sitting on the table in his cabin so they could get dressed while having there first cups. Talking about cooks, as a child and up into my dads college years pots would have a cook there from the first day of duck season until the end. My dads favorite cook was "Murphy". He was General Patton's liaison in the European theater for his entire tour. He had some stories my dad tells. For those who have seen the movie Patton do you remember the black fellow who would always lay his uniform out. That was him.

Pots son and grandson are in this picture also. Lower right was his son.

When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:27 am

crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:34 am

The one in the middle is my grandfather with his first turkey he killed. His brother Pots invited him to hunt with him on another club he started out sideof Clarksdale (Riverview land Co. or burks). He brought that turkey back home to Pontotoc and took it to the Progress so they would take a picture and run it in the weekly paper. That is the original picture that was giving to me when I was in high school by the editor.

The other picture is the old camp stove that the original members bought out of Memphis to leave at our camping spot before they could build a club house. It is still in our woods to this day. We have a ton of pics for that era. They used big green army tents. All of the brother's would settle on a time to meet up on hwy 8 and mule train back in the woods for a week long duck hunt.

crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:36 am

Dont have a clue. Rumor has it they were some big wheels that worked for the highway dept. But I dont know.
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:42 am

Some of the lower pics are from a period when we were in transition from building the camp house we have now. Notice the top left pic you can a saw horse. That was the 79 season when we finished up like the week before deer season. Kids hunting clothes sure have changed since then. Winnie the pooh rubber boots was all that my mom could find for me.

MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:57 am

Old school is buying all your gear at Fred's.

Using a #2 pencil for a plug and drilling out your mag cap for easy removal. :shock:

I don't claim to be from the old school but I don't take for granted the knowledge passed down from those that are.
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Dude, those ole pics are way kewl.

I had whinnie the pooh SHOES. I remember them coming off in the sticky brickeys ar mud. Werent long after that though, i got my first HUNTING boots. red rubber boots, had the firemans hat and axe on them. guess kids boots in green werent made then. They where the poop! If you've never seen how happy HUNTING boots make a kid, you've missed on the great joys of being an adult. I remember ty (my middle son, whose now 18) getting his first hip boots. him and drew both got them, and drews would work folded over. Tys we folded over, and he stood up to say 'they fit great' right as he did a full gainer backwards over in the living room. I carried them thru the water, so walking in it was a non issue, but it just wasnt the same as having your own boots. I always made up excuses after a hunt for them to HAVE to walk thru water. And Id stand there directing them until someone fell over. travis
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:32 pm

So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 pm

These are some from my college years.

Younger years

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:36 pm

On the subject of boots:

I remember my first "hunting" boots. They were the old black hard rubber boots with the red soles. We wore like 3 pairs of socks thinking it would help us stay warm. Then, me being the oldest of two boys, got to step up to an old hand-me-down pair that I found that were my grandfathers. They were an old green pair of red-wing kangaroo boots, 6 sizes too big. I didn't care, i was out of those rubber boots. They were not warm at all. I fondley remember my mother overhearing my father's famous words of "just wait 'till they go numb, and then you can't tell if they are cold or not". Within 2 days we were both being fit for a new pair of "super duper hunting boots" they actually had Thinsulate and Gore-Tex. My mother, ever frugal as she was, made sure that they were big enough for us to grow into. We went to buy them and they were made of boar-hide. My mother said "If i'm gonna buy a $200 pair of boots, then they better dam last and I remember Jeff Speed saying that if these boys wear these boots out, EVER, then bring them to me and I will buy them back. I still wear them to this day. She always kept us up to date after that, never to let dad let us "go numb so we couldn't feel it".

Return to “General Discussion Forum”