Where were you 8 years ago?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Re: Where were you 8 years ago?

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:29 am

I was in my second year of law school, went to class that morning, went to exchange books, walked out a side door and was met by an older student asking me what they were saying on the radio....I said, "steve, what are you talking about"...his reply, "two planes have hit the world trade center and one has hit the pentagon...we are under attack"...my reply, "this changes everything."

I walk back into the main lobby of the law school and they have wheeled in TVs and are showing what was going on. People who have relatives that worked in the Trade Center are crying, others are stunned, several military reserve guys are calling their contacts to see what they need to do. By the time I got inside, one tower had fallen. By the time I got to my next class, another had fallen.

I remember sitting in class literally holding back vomit (they were reporting as many as 50,000 casualties when I left to go to class).

Eight short years later, we have elected a Muslim President that ran his campaign based on an anti-war, pro-muslim/world platform. You tell me who is winning as a result of 9/11.

By the way, those of you who have not been to the ground zero site need to see it. It is surprisingly small yet monumentally profound.
OleMsVa
Veteran
Location: Charleston, SC via New Orleans, LA via Oxford, MS via Richmond, VA

Postby OleMsVa » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 am

I was a freshman in highschool in Richmond, VA. School shutdown after they couldn't get the students out of the library so I went home and watched tv the rest of the day with my mom. Have an Uncle in the USAF that was supposed to be at the Pentagon that day, luckily his orders changed. Family friends from Church up the street lost their daughter in the WTC. Something needs to be done to properly memorialize this day forever.

I also took two classes with Dr. Wilkins, and that story doesn't surprise me. He was a great teacher, and is now a great administrator at Ole Miss.
-Bart Tracy

"You ready to whack 'em and stack 'em Harold?!"

"No good deed goes unpunished." - Mom

HRCH Coolwater's Brigadier Barksdale "Briggs"

BMDC --- S.B.H.Y.
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:42 am

That morning I was headed to class. I worked at a liquor store in the afternoons and we had the news on the entire time we worked.

I remember one of our customers came in a day or two after the fact and proceded to tell us how she was tired of that "picture" on her television and she wished they would play something else.

to this day I dont know if she ever knew it was real of if she thought it was just another "picture" they kept playing over and over

either way it interfered with her "stories"

the doc
britlab
Veteran

Postby britlab » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:48 am

I was in my office with Amsouth in Birmingham. My wife was at home with my oldest (our only at the time). She called me and was crying and said to turn on the TV. I had a small tv at my desk and turned it on just in time to see the second plane hit. I will never forget that day. I watched the news all day in astonishment.
CBRADGO
Veteran

Postby CBRADGO » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:56 am

I was in Starkville going to State. I was driving to work when I heard on 99.9 The Fox that a plane had hit the first tower. Got to work, went into my boss' office and turned on his portable black and white right as the second plane hit. The thing I remember most was that numb feeling I had all day and calling my Dad. I asked him what was going on and he said "Son, I don't know for sure but we're at Defcon 4." That's when I started to feel the gravity of the whole thing and realize this wasn't going to be just another day...
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:23 am

I was on my way to my Dad's house for work. (In those days I worked for him.) I was listening to Rock 103 Memphis and they announced a plane had hit the WTC. At that time, they werent sure, but they seemed to think it was an accident. When I got to his house, he had the TV on and they were showing the first tower smoking and you could see the other tower beside it. No sooner than I sat down, while the news people were filming that shot, the other plane hit the second tower. At that moment, we all new we were under attack. I remember how sick, vulnerable, and angry I felt.
paraduck
Veteran

Postby paraduck » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:43 am

I was at work on an ambulance, i remeber listening to a local radio station we firstthought it was a radio station joke.Then our dispatch starting sending out pages about possible sending paramedics to New York. We drove to local store and watched the replays......It is a day I wont forget.
hotty toddy
Duck South Addict

Postby hotty toddy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:52 am

I was sitting in Pharmacy Administration just like gator, only I had Dr. Mcaffrey, we all knew what was happening and with the web so jammed only a few of us around the auditorium could get online to see what was going on. The prof. actually kept right on teaching but no one heard a word he said.

Gator's description of the halls being surreal is spot on. The pakistani and indian TA's and lab folks wouldnt make eye contact with anyone and must have found some holes to hide in. They were very uncharateristically scarce. I guess I cant blame them though, they knew who had probably done it and even though they were in no way involved some people just act stupidly. I would have hid and been ashamed to if I was them.

I remember everybody was worried about gas shortages and everyone ran to the stations so they could make sure they could get home.

I also remember getting home from class and my roomate was sitting in the recliner wathing TV with his 9 mm in his hands. I dont really know what he was thinking he would do with it but I guess it made him feel better. I know I loaded up the Benelli and leaned in the corner of my room that night too.

I found out later that a lady I knew from a school trip in highschool was on the plane that hit the pentagon. She and a student traveling to meet up with a group to go on a trip similar to the one I was on. Mrs. Anne Jourdan from D.C. .

NEVER FORGET.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
BE STILL, HERE THEY COME, BE STILL!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yeah, I got TP..........2 dollars a square"
RIPPY
Veteran

Postby RIPPY » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:01 pm

I was at Worldcom in Clinton. I had 9 men there doing some landscape work. People started running out of every door. A couple of my guys came to me and said there is a plane fixing to crash into the building! I was like BS and then it hit me, they may be telling the truth because of all the people running like crazy... About that time my phone rang and my wife said have you seen any TV and I said no but I got to let you go There is a plane crashing into Worldcom. She called me back and said no it crashed in to the wtc. Anyway it was a day I will never forget!!!!!!
You duck hunters sure know how to do it!!!!!
pstone
Veteran

Postby pstone » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:05 pm

I was in my high school senior english class, and teacher had just sent me to the office for back talking, and I heard the news on the way to the office.....
GRENADA MAFIA
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:09 pm

I was hungover laying on my couch watching TV after a birthday party the night before.
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
Woodduckdawg
Duck South Addict

Postby Woodduckdawg » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Had just moved to Jackson the week before and I was out of work for the moment, so I watched most of it unfold live on TV. I remember going to fill up on gas because of the panic of uncertainty at the time. We moved near the airport and it was eerie hearing planes instructed to land. It was perhaps weirder to NOT hear planes for a day or so.

I try to show CNN America Remembers every year. Most of the kids I teach were 3-5 when it happened, and most really don't have a clue now.
If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.
----Jimmy Buffett
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:43 pm

I know a fella that lived in Brooklyn in an apartment overlooking the East River. He woke up and saw the smoke from the first tower, went out on his balcony and saw the second plane hit...he watched it coming across the horizon well before it hit. He was literally right across from this happening. While we were watching this unfold on TV, he was watching it happen before his eyes. I cannot imagine.
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Last edited by tombstone on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There will be a day....
Cephous
Veteran

Postby Cephous » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:31 pm

I will watch the local news but I have not been able to watch the national news since Clinton went into office.
Just couldn't stomach Billary!
There's a reason it's called fishin'& huntin' instead of catchin'& killin'

Return to “General Discussion Forum”