You might be Old School if.....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: You might be Old School if.....

Postby Anatidae » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:41 pm

tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:13 pm

I remember the red balls, and paying $33 dollars for the first gore tex gloves with thinsulate. That was alot of money for gloves in '80 or so. Herters catalogs and reloading hulls. Those hulls were ALL PLASTIC green hulls that had a green plastic disc that snapped over the end instead of a crimp. Anybody else remember those. I do remember points and lead. I remember coming home with a wood duck in hand and considering it a successful trip too.
There will be a day....
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Hmm. I was too "poor boy" to have a 3 wheeler back in the day, I remember those half-mile wade-in excursions in Skuna Bottom or Spring Creek bottom. Non-insulated waders and my dad's old army field jacket that weight 19 lbs before adding water.

Remember buying those cheap Fiocchi shells cuz it was cool to see fire shoot out your barrel early?

Remember blowing all your points on the wrong bird?

Remember we had like 7 old Flambeau dekes with seagrass twine and spark plug weights in a towsack.

Best thing I remember was my buddy Kerry having Hodgman waders which were 3" shorter than ours, and he couldn't get across a certain beaver ditch. Still, American ingenuity being what it is, and us having a sweet mallard hole in the woods - he found a belly boat/innertube deal. Gonna show us a thing or two. Nice cold morning, breaking ice going in. Randy and I crossed the ditch first, then we hear a strange noise and look back to see the (capsized) belly boat and two feets up in the air, kicking like a bug on its back. I guess if he hadn't stuck his gun barrel in the mud and flipped over he'd a drowned because we were helpless..... I laughed so hard I pi$$ed my waders and ended up as cold as he was.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:07 pm

Can was 100pts
greenhead was 25pts
susie was 50? or 75?
pintail was 10pts!!
gadwall was 25 pts?
coot was 10pts.
Canada was closed.
Snow goose was 2birds

can't remeber the rest
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:23 pm

So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:45 pm

swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:18 pm

If you throw 1 hen decoy right by your blind and call it "your calling Hen" . I still do it
If you call a decoy a "da'-coy"
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
ewd506
Veteran

Postby ewd506 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:24 pm

You remember most the ducks and their Point Value----Thats old school

Shootin #4 lead-------full choke----smack down!!!

peach brandy
Boys, "I DONT KILL THESE DUCKS BECAUSE I LIKE TOO, I KILL THESE DUCK BECAUSE I HAVE TOO", you figure out the difference!
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:28 pm

"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Gumbo
Veteran

Postby Gumbo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:29 pm

#4 lead would knock them on their backs....
He's comin' back around...
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Still got my Jon'e and yentzen.
Wore canvas hunt coat with wrap around game bag and "jones" style hat.
Wood ducks in Arkie were protected when I was a kid.
Only had hip boots...then rubber waders that you patched tears by heating up rubber tape to repair.
Didn't use de coys till later on the coasts marsh, loud booty Victors; called and kicked the water in the pin oak flats.
Used an old Savage 12 that was built on a Browning A5 patent. Action was like slow mo... :shock:
No gun strap, face hood, duck strap....careful not to get shells wet..Neopreme came later and was for scuba suits.
Wouldn't have considered just breasting.
Grandma wanted feathers for pillars and beds.
The 7 1/2 Johnson had 2 part hose from tank.
Didn't have a clue about deer scrapes or thought about using scents...did see rubs.
Got caught home hunting during college by a Fed. Pop and G. Maw made that dude feel bad...youngin coming home to hunt Arkie and outa state, MS, fine $50. :evil:
Got throw in the drunk tank in Billyoxy dressed in WWII camo once with pard shooting dosgris leward of the shrimp fleet docked at Marvars. Fined $50 discharge in city limits. Judge was working on his boat as pellets rained down. :oops:
First year M'sipi state stamp ticket on Goula river and actually had kilt a wigin.. :oops: Ignorance is no excuse boy! $29 fine.
Had a helicopter 'bout blow us away running us outa Iwanta Co. of Delaware, east pearl, OS 5 day La. license $3.70

May not be too old school sounding but shorenuf budgeted and lil naughty.... :D
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:16 pm

wrappin your sandwiches in wax paper, your thermos had a stopper and would break if you dropped it.

crow
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:24 pm

Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
acornman
Regular

Postby acornman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:35 pm

These posts bring back many fond memories...let's see if I can add my share...

Red Ball hip boots were a luxury because they had some insulation.....others did not.

Glass lined thermos bottles were the best you could get, but you would drop it and break the glass liner before the season was over....guaranteed.

A charcoal bucket with the ceramic liner was the "heat source" of choice in the blind if you were gonna hunt all day.....but you did not light it until mid-morning because the smoke would flare the early ducks.

You could buy lead shot in 4's, 5's or 6's and it was perfectly legal; 50 yard shots were easy to make on a regular basis.

Airduk fiber and pitch bottomed decoys were standard fare.....way before plastic anything.

Either a model 12 or model 97 Winchester that was worn "shiny" was the mark of a serious duck hunter.

Keeping your head down was the way you were taught to duck hunt; face masks were not an option.

You had heard at least one live decoy or market hunting story from men who actually did it for a living.....I grew up on Reelfoot Lake where it was a way of life for many years.

You made your own push pole with a draw knife to get around in shallow water.

And finally....if you did not have an Olt's D-2 tied to the top button hole of your canvas hunting coat with a piece of masonry string......then you just were not a duck hunter; lanyards with multiple loops were not even invented back then.

Whoa......I am really dating myself....gotta go.

acornman
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 am

.....you do not to blab your public hunting spots all over the internet and you wish others would do the same. Don't even mention the name 'cause every yo-yo with google is gonna be looking. :evil:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”