Katrina on Nat Geo Channel

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Re: Katrina on Nat Geo Channel

Postby Seymore » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 am

The levees failing is what did NOLA in not Katrina. The city actually survived the hurricane it wasn't until some hours after the hurrcane had passed that the levee system failed. I've read it blamed on the levee board and then blamed on the Corps of Engineers. I think it was a combination of both the corruption and the Corps not sticking to its guns in building the levees. Unfortunately, I don't think anything has been fixed and if another hurricane were to happen I'm afraid the same thing would happen.

I've also read various articles where the government had discussed what to do with NOLA if a disaster like this were to happen. The port in necessary but a city built below sea level is absurd. One plan that was brain stormed was to just bull doze it and turn it into a green community of say 50,000 people to support the port.

I don't know about all the figures being tossed around about the numbers that died. I do know that several cities were kinds of pizzed at the population increases in their cities with demographics they didn't want. Crime, welfare, and a general drain on their services resulted from the mass exodus. I don't know that cities will be as willing to take evacuees were it to happen again.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
farmerc83
Duck South Addict

Postby farmerc83 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 am

On what Seymore said, numbers from Wikipedia...so some possibly close numbers.

"In Texas, where more than 300,000 refugees were located, local officials ran 20,000 criminal background checks on the refugees, as well as on the relief workers helping them and people who opened up their homes. The background checks found that 45% of the refugees had a criminal record of some nature, and that 22% had a violent criminal record.[90] The number of homicides in Houston from September 2005 through February 22, 2006 went up by 23% relative to the same period a year before; 29 of the 170 murders involved displaced Louisianans as victims or suspects.[91]"

Doubt Houston will be begging to give aid if this ever happens again.
The two loudest sounds in the world are a BANG when you expect a CLICK and a CLICK when you expect a BANG.
quackquack33
Veteran

Postby quackquack33 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Here is my 2 cents..... People knew Katrina was going to be one h*** of a storm weeks before it hit land. They had the choice to flee or stay. When you decide to take a gamble and "wait out" the storm, you are automatically putting your life in danger. It is pure ignorance to scream and beg for someone to help when it could have been avoided for most part. As for media coverage, ITS A JOKE. Never really saw much about waveland or bay st. louis on PRIME TIME news. But ask yourself, if an F4 or F5 tornado is coming towards your house, are you gonna stay in it?
Bull-Mountain Bottom is Home
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:42 pm

My wife's job required her to stay for hurricanes. So, thus I stayed, too. Ended up with water up to my chest, even though I had evacuated 6 miles off the Coast. We forgot the rivers would get out, too. Just call me a democratic lazy dumbazz..... :wink:
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
msbigdawg1234
Duck South Addict

Postby msbigdawg1234 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Hey democratic lazy dumbazz give me a call lost ya number....6012189501
My name is Rick Daughtry.......

Well, I had a lot of money, but to the city went
I met too many good looking girls and that's where my money went
Yeah I know just where it went
No I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:40 pm

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:41 pm

another lazy dumbarse here too!!
go figure my flooded house was at 27' above sea level!!
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
qckmstr

Postby qckmstr » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:03 pm

My sources come from a former N O police officer and FBI investigator who is now a US marshal who are brothers, and a former "big wig" with FEMA who is no longer living in the U.S. ( For some reason moved to honduras??) The brothers told me the story oneday when I ran into them at church which they started attending after all this happened. I could go on to tell you folks the whole story but believe it or not there are some parts of it that I'd rather spread. It was told for the truth, the grown man cried his eyes out while telling parts of it so you go figure. You can critisize my opinion if you want, none of you mean anything to me, but fact is that's a part of katrina that not many will ever know about. I don't understands you left wing folks standing around with you hand out and looking to blame someone/ government? I say. Get up off your lazy a s s. Do some work provide for you and your family and wake up... It aint the governments fault a hurricane hit your city, which is BELOW sea level, and it got flooded. You knew the hazards. Aint the governments fault you didn't have a flood insurance policy. It's your responsibility to insure YOUR stuff!!! The government owes you NOTHING.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:56 am

I can show you a picture of the barge that broke loose of it's mooring and struck the floodwall that was atop the levee on the Lower 9th. Ward side of the Industrial Canal that seperates the 9th. ward of the city. I took it about two weeks after the flood. Is the ACOE to blame for the barge owned by a private concern? I thunk if not for that, the Lower 9 would have made it without flooding.
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”