Where were you 8 years ago?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Doc & Nash
Duck South Addict

Re: Where were you 8 years ago?

Postby Doc & Nash » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:57 am

I was working for Home Depot in Nashville. Myself along with 90% of the people in the store managed squeezing in the breakroom to see the second plane hit. I thought it was a replay of the first but only for a second.

It was hard explaining what had happened to the girls who were four then.
Conservation is number one to all true outdoorsmen

Trey Edwards
UH HRCH Nashs' Legend MH RIP 8/11/02- 10/12/12
The yet to be named Chocolate Dawg
dukmisr2005
Duck South Addict

Postby dukmisr2005 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:58 am

i was in the dr office with my now ex-wife for a check up for my oldest daughter...
~ Ric M.
Dulaney Seed Inc./AgVenture
877-974-7333

-- Its not the man but the message that keeps on going!! --
-- There is everywhere, but not everywhere is there...
LostBoy
Veteran

Postby LostBoy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:59 am

I was at work when a coworker came in and told me about the first plane we thought it was a small plane and went to the VP's office to watch the news and saw the second plane hit. Stayed glued to the tube the rest of the day.

That day was a bad day all-around watching people kill themselves rather than burn. That night I was watching my kids and my wife asked me if I was OK I remember telling her I thought this was the beginning of the end of America. I told her we as Americans are too soft and are not tough enough as a nation to do what it takes to see this through to the end. She got so mad she wouldn't talk to me for a week.

The day Obama was elected she started crying at dinner and told me I was right on 9/11, at that time she didn’t want to believe it but I was right. It’s the only time in 25 yrs of marriage she has told me I was right, but it shakes me to my core to realize that the gut feeling I had was correct.
"Of course I make mistakes. One time I thought I might not know everything, but I was wrong."
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:05 am

I was working and had stopped by my parents' house for a pit stop. I turned on one of the news channels, basically ignoring it. I noticed that the reporter stopped her story mid-sentence, and the camera panned to catch the first plane hit the tower. I immediately dug my parents' American flag out of the closet, and hung it by the front porch. As soon as I came back in the same reporter was speculating as to whether it was an accident or terrorism as the camera caught the second plane hit. Either way I knew it was dark day in the lives of all Americans.

I forgot about work and sat on the couch and cried for a solid hour. The flag has been replaced a couple of times, but there hasn't been a day since that it wasn't hanging by my parent's front porch. I guess it will hang there as long as I'm alive in honor of all who died, lost loved ones, or served in the rescue efforts that day.
Cephous
Veteran

Postby Cephous » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:07 am

I was sitting at my desk in Madison and they broke in on the radio with a live feed from "Good Morning America". They were watching the footage of the first tower burning when the 2nd plane hit the south tower.
Needless to say, we didn't get much work done that day.
There's a reason it's called fishin'& huntin' instead of catchin'& killin'
BradBynum
Veteran

Postby BradBynum » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 am

I had just returned from a six week deployment to Argentina. I was on leave so I got up early and took the dog for a walk with my wife. I was watching some mindless show on TV when the wife called and told me about the first plane. I turned the channel to the news and watched the second plane hit. Cell phone starting ringing and leave was canceled. Put my uniform on and went to work.
Splash_em
Veteran

Postby Splash_em » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:16 am

It was my off day and myself and another coworker were shooting sporting clays. About halfway through, both of our cellphones went to ringing. We left the course and set around in the clubhouse watching the TV.
Richard G.

GRHRCH UH "Hammer" MH***
GRHRCH "Zeus"

"One of the secrets of training is not trying for perfection; a certain amount of tolerance is necessary."- Charles Morgan
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:34 am

On my way to work and stopped to get a biscuit and shoot the breeze with some other guys who usually stopped at the same place every morning. One of them said a plane hit the trade center and I thought it was a small private plane. Got to the office and found out the second had hit between the store and the office. Everybody just kind of went through the motions that day at work.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:50 am

just got done with football practice... i was in 7th grade ha
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:53 am

I was a junior at state and in Dr. Deihls zoology class. Nobody had any idea it had happened. We walked out of the auditorium and people were talking about it. When I got home the second plane had hit. i remember the gas thing too... i took a couple girls cars to get them gas since they didnt want to leave. I remeber that as being a very sobering day.
work hard, play hard
redneckway
Veteran

Postby redneckway » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:59 am

i was sitting in school for mississippi valley gas in jackson, one of the guys in our class got a call from his sister saying a plane hit the pentagon and she couldnt get in touch with their mom who lived 1 block from the pantagon, our classroom was right next door to a major natural gas pipeline, our teacher got a call from the president of our company advising us to keep an eye on the regulator station, the teacher freaked out and started asking all 22 of us if we had firearms in our trucks, went out and got the glock and h&k and loaded up all 16 magazines, we never left the hotel that nite when we got back, we all sit in the lobby watching the news till midnight,
legends of the lower mars
Duck South Sponsor

Postby legends of the lower mars » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 am

I was sitting in my maintenance supervisors office in the hangar at the Army National Guard helicopter repair facility that I work at full time. We were discussing the first plane and watching the news on a little 13 in TV. Then saw the 2nd plane hit... (live!)
While discussing the first plane it didn't really sink in to any of us what had happened...... When the second plane hit---we knew then.........
I can tell you, the stark realization of what just happened in front of my eye's upset me so bad that I almost threw my guts up... I and all of my peers knew this meant war... Where??? We weren't sure. We just knew it would be the Middle East somewhere.

Our country will never forget the day and what happend;
It has just forgotten how it made us all feel.

Remember all of the inocent men, women and children that died during this horrible act... Keep those that live with the memory of thier passing of their family and friends in your prayers.
While alot of people only stop to remember the day every Sept 11th; the ones that have been directly affected live with the pain and memory every day.
WHO DAT!

TOURNAMENT REDFISHING TEAM

A man may have many dogs in his life, but, a "True Legend" comes only once...

NOTICE! USERNAME SHOULD READ---"Legends of the Lower Marsh"
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:12 am

Bitter sweet for me. Me, wife, and 8 month old daughter were in daughters room waiting on the doctors to come diccharge us from Blair Batson Hospital in Jackson. We had been at the hospital for about a month with our child as she almost died fighting off a rare blood disorder that almost no one had ever heard of. After being in and out of ICU multiple times, we were beat down but excited to finally get to carry a breathing infant home. I had the t.v. on fox news watching the replay and the live shot of the fire when the second plane hit the tower. It looked surreal, I ask my wife if that was another plane or was it a replay. I got home a stayed glued to the t.v. for the next day or so.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
adame
Duck South Addict

Postby adame » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:17 am

9th grade Drivers Ed/Study Hall. I rember think it was the the Chinese because of the whole spy plane deal

They'll NEVER be forgotten :(
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:23 am

Dr. Noel Wilkins pharmacy admin class.

We got the news through tears in the man's eyes. I'll never forget what he said - we ain't gonna let them beat us by canceling class, open your books.

Walking outside b/t classes I remember how serreal everything was. All the Muslims bunched up together to walk to classes to avoid confrontations.

I watched the news everyday up to that point...it got to me so bad, and the subsequent war coverage, I don't watch news anymore.

I'll never forget it as long as I live.

gator
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper

Return to “General Discussion Forum”