Clipped a Hunting Day from Your Favorite WMA's

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Re: Clipped a Hunting Day from Your Favorite WMA's

Postby Don Miller » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:04 pm

"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:13 pm

dubmckay - Five posts in five years?, glad to see you wade into the fray though. I'm sure others may feel the same way but they don't post because they don't want to get into an internet squabble. Kudos to your counterpoint effort, but I respectfully disagree.

I'd like to address some of your points. Nothing happens (quality hunt & harvest) unless you get drawn, no guarantee of that happening and there are fewer chances of that happening this year than last, due to fewer draw days. So don't load the younger generation in the truck and head to the delta just yet. IF you get drawn, you get to draw again that morning, there is no guarantee that your lucky streak will continue that morning at 5:00 a.m., Well you get the idea, there is no guarantee that on that day there there will be cold weather, water, ducks, etc. etc.

How do you feel about your (quality & harvest) season when year after year you don't get drawn, and perhaps your efforts to then go on standby don't yield quality and harvest expectations. Would you recommend even fewer draw days? Do you expect to have only one "quality" hunt per year?

I just want as many opportunities to hunt as possible, fewer is not the answer, drawing is not the answer. Quality is subjective and I have zero expectations of limiting out. That may or may not happen, who knows from day to day on "harvest".

You mentioned that you have fewer opportunities now, than years ago, well, the game and fish took a few more away on these areas. 60 day season now whittled down to just 24 LOTTO CHANCES or so, (I haven't figured out all the math with various WMA days, season splits, one day weekends etc.) Of course, you can standby for the lotto leftovers, if any. Whoo-Hoo!!! My gawd, if they're only going to hunt it three days a week why not hunt it all day, and if you pull out, let me in!!!

I would rather enjoy a guaranteed sunrise at your wood duck slew, with the younger generation that you mentioned, a happy dog and a cup of coffee, as opposed to staying at the house. Harvest optional. And I do agree with you that decent private land is a luxury, all I hunt is public within three states, so I feel pretty well connected to what's going on at hip boot level. Seen the game & fish handle things many different ways, just don't like thisaway they're doing it.

We used to be able to hunt EVERY day at some of these WMA's. Not now. :cry: Sometimes it sucked and sometimes it was good, I don't see the draw changing that.

(Disclaimer: Don't care what they do with catfish ponds, draw may be the only answer there, but hey, draw every day)
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:05 am

Draws are for the lazy and people that don't know how to duck hunt.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:40 am

"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”