Season in Pictures (Heavy)

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Up2Early
Veteran

Season in Pictures (Heavy)

Postby Up2Early » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm

After being down for five days with the flu, I'm at least functioning today. I've been enjoying the year in review threads, so here is mine. We took 200 birds almost entirely on public land this season (96 mallards, 29 gadwall, 33 wood ducks, 23 teal, and the balance of mostly widgeon and a few shovelers).

We started with a great opening morning that got the kids on the board. Here are my two boys with their best hunting buddy - all making like "Killers, Inc."

Saw this pair on the way home:

Due to lack of water in my preferred places, I branched out and hunted some new terrain. This limit of mallards took 30 minutes.

Found ducks in some unusual places, too. It looks ducky, but I walk by this spot all the time and there's NEVER more than 5-10 ducks on it. This day, though, plenty!

I was able to take a couple of "first" ducks this year. A mottled duck and a black duck:

I'm completely blessed that all of my children, even my daughter, have a passion for duck hunting. Jordan joined me for a great mallard hunt on this cool morning.

The kids all want to share duck hunting with their friends and I try to oblige as much as possible. This is Jordan with one of her home school friends. It was his first duck hunt and I think he's hooked. Calling me all the time now. 8)

We had Lady Madison for a few days. The conditions were tough, with a lot of new water and mild temps. We took a chance on the timber one morning and got skunked. I know better than to hunt without scouting first, but it was all we could do...

I took Lady Madison out by myself a couple of days later. The birds hadn't been finishing well for a couple of hunts, so I took some advice from TJ and changed the spread to include three mallard pairs using my best decoys. Lady Madison was a bachelorette on this day and was set alone at 20 yards. They finished like a dream and I got out quickly, deciding to take hens due to an impending thunderstorm.

The highlight of the season was the day both of my boys took me to school. Ryan had an all-drake limit of mallards and teal and Aaron had two mallards before I had killed anything (and I had run through a box of shells). I thought I was just having one of "those" days. Later on, I learned my recoil spring had backed out a little bit and I was getting wobble between the stock and receiver. The boys don't give me any slack for that and have already reminded me plenty about the day they outshot me. Ryan had his full limit and Aaron took 3 mallards and a teal with his single shot, while I managed just two ducks.

More pictures from that hunt:

SHR Up2Early's Delta Dawn

Check out my lanyards: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=32696&id=1348690753
Imbred_Goldfish
Regular

Re: Season in Pictures (Heavy)

Postby Imbred_Goldfish » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Those are some gargantuan mallards at the end, glad you had a good season.
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Great stuff buddy!

The kids are becoming sure nuff killers in their own right!
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
ShotgunSP
Veteran

Postby ShotgunSP » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Great recap!
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Love it big guy!
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm

good stuff man!
i'll get around to "my re-cap" soon even though it can't hold a candle to what I've seen so far!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Negotiator
Veteran

Postby Negotiator » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 am

Fantastic !!!

I can't think of anything better to say.... The story and pictures say it better than anything I could offer up.... Kudos Dad !
Laughing is the sensation of feeling good all over and showing it principally in one spot.

Josh Billings
Drake88
Veteran

Postby Drake88 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 am

awesome season
"3 words can sum everything I have learned in life up, IT GOES ON"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”