Backyard buck!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
KWAKHED
Duck South Addict

Backyard buck!

Postby KWAKHED » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:33 pm

My 6 year old wanted to hunt yesterday, so after homework was done we headed out. We have been trying to get him a deer all season with no luck. We've seen plenty, just none that would be still long enough for him to get a shot with his rifle. We opted to go old school yesterday and he toted the 20 gauge with buckshot. I gave him pick on where to sit. I only own 4 acres at the house, but it is narrow and deep. It is also in the middle of about 150 acres of good hardwoods. For some reason it always holds deer and usually a good buck. He decided we would sit right in the middle. He picked us out a good, big based oak wth some vines and ground cover around it to sit by. We were late due to having to finish homework first. We probably got set about 4:30. I carried a gun just in case, mainly so if i needed to finish one off. About 4:45 he tells me he hears one and of course I am sure its a squirrel until I look up and see a buck staring right at us. Only problem is he is too far for buckshot. After what seemed like forever(probably one minute), he put his head down and proceeded browsing. We got his gun ready in case he turned to us. Well, he had other plans and turned slightly quartered away and started walking on. I had about a 30 yard window before he hit a thicket and would be gone. Realizing this I asked Brantley what he wanted to do and without hesitation he said bust him daddy. So that is just what I did. He took out running with his left leg hanging. He ran about 15 yards and his left beam hooked a vine and he done the pertiest back flip I ever seen, ran about 10 more yards and piled up. To say we were excited would be an understatement. Hes thinkin about startin his own guide service!
HR Choctaw's Sunset Drake
Mississippi Mallard Mafia
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Re: Backyard buck!

Postby mshunter77 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 pm

That's good stuff right there.
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 am

dang skippy....aint nothin like a backyard buck.....
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
Drake88
Veteran

Postby Drake88 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 am

Looks like a good time! Congrats
"3 words can sum everything I have learned in life up, IT GOES ON"
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Atta' Boy!
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965

Return to “General Discussion Forum”