Unusual Band Recovery-w/results

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: Unusual Band Recovery-w/results

Postby Anatidae » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks, Tom.

'Will keep you posted, Kelly - Thanks
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: Unusual Band Recovery-w/results - UPDATED

Postby Anatidae » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Update to this story:

Thanks to 'chs36' - I got a phone call from one of my brother's hunting buddies right after we got home from Canada this year.

'Turns-out the same two friends have been hunting together ever since. They're both retired and all they do is travel, hunt and fish, now.

What is amazing is that they have been hunting about 30 miles from where we've been hunting in SK for the past 8 years. We've probably passed each other on the road up there, and never knew it.

The phone conversation was like getting a call from my brother himself - we talked alot about Perry, tried to understand why God takes the 'good' ones............we laughed, we cried, we vowed to get together and celebrate his life and memory.

We've corresponded and talked again a couple of times and have plans to make a hunt together and share some stories.......and hopefully make some more memories.

I thought it'd be neat to take his old 870 out - and let everybody take a turn killing ducks and geese with it, again.

The story just keeps unfolding.
Last edited by Anatidae on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Awesome Ant!
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 pm

That is awesome, keep us posted as the story develops
bottomland84

Postby bottomland84 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 pm

After reading through these few pages I really wished I could have known your brother. He sounded like one cool cat, and a heck of a roll model for sure.

It doesn't seem fair that the God takes the good one does it? I've had my share of that. My grandfather was a great man. I sometimes go down to the creek and sit were we set oh so many times fishing with cane poles and he telling me stories of hunting and fishing. I just sit there and let the moment take me away. For a brief moment..... If I close my eyes and listen with my heart.... Hes there.

Hold on to those moments Ant. Those are the good ones.
hottytoddy
Veteran

Postby hottytoddy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:27 pm

This has been an enjoyable read. Please continue this story as it unfolds. Awesome !!!
"You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shat"
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:31 pm

First time I've ever read this post. Gotta say it's awesome. It'd be neat just reading it... But for some reason if your name wasn't on the post I'd know it's you. Weird, maybe something in your words gives me that feeling or maybe it's just one of those things. But a really good read. Makes me feel lucky to be your friend. I am glad of that. Travis
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Amazing how some souls and spirits are connected -Thanks, Bro. - likewise.
10gauge

Postby 10gauge » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:57 am

Awesome!
Dr. B
Veteran

Postby Dr. B » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:41 am

Since duck season ended I haven't been on here much. Been chasing turkeys and other stuff since January. Brother let me tell you, I could not have picked a better thread to read for my 1st one since coming back on. What an awesome way to start my day and I really appreciate you sharing this story. It's awesome! If it's not no personal to ask (and if you don't want to answer that's perfectly fine), How did your brother pass away? He seems like a super cool guy and to take you hunting shows his heart and priorities were lined up! Someone we all would have enjoyed knowing. I think I can speak for all of us reading this thread in that we share in your loss but also rejoice in your excitement of finding such a treasure from your big brother. Thanks again for sharing something so personal and touching with us!

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Very nice comments, Dr B - and I appreciate them very much. I've given much thought and honor your request as follows:

He was an honor graduate (Chemistry) from McNeese State College (1964) and Cadet Colonel of the ROTC unit there. During the Summer months he worked in the chemistry lab @ (then named) Cities Service Oil Company refinery in Lake Charles. Upon graduation he was offered a very healthy salary to continue his work @ CitCon refinery but elected to pursue graduate work in chemistry @ UT Austin with hopes to teach at the college level. He did this primarily so he could have Summers off to fish, and Holidays off to hunt.

He became interested in deer hunting with the prospect of moving to Texas. My Dad told us 3 boys that if we didn't smoke by the time we turned 21, he would buy us something within a pre-determined budget. Perry chose a Winchester Model 70 featherweight in .308 Win. The year was 1964.......the last year these rifles were made prior to cost-cutting modifications by the manufacturer. Upon his death, his wife gave this rifle to me. He joined a deer lease in Fredricksburg, TX and bought a brand new '65 Chevy p/u and an El Dorado camper to go in it. This was purchased with savings from the refinery and the taxidermy work he did through high school and college years.

Perry and his new bride both had success with the deer hunting and became frequent residents at the camp. The deer lease had a lodge for cooking, meals, fellowship, and game processing. Sleeping quarters were limited or separate from the main building. That's where the camper came-in. Pam was not with him this particular trip. It was cold enough that before retiring to the camper, Perry gathered some hot coals from the lodge fireplace, put them in a coffee can and placed them in the camper to warm it up a bit. He returned to the lodge to continue visiting with the guests in camp then eventually retired for the evening - forgetting about the can of coals. His death was ruled as result of asphyxiation.

We tried as a family to justify this tragic, act of carelessness. Also upon graduation he was commissioned a 2nd LT. in the Army. Viet Nam War was in full swing and several of his friends were drafted. The previous year's Cadet Colonel received the same commission, served and died 6 months into hi first tour. The Summer prior to his death, Perry completed boot camp @ Fort Sill Oklahoma. His duty status was 'iffy' but because of his scholastic acheivements, he was not at the top of the recruit list just yet. We eventually came to the conslusion that his death would have spared him what so many young men of that generation went through, whether he would have survived that conflict or not.

I believe things happen for a reason - good or bad. Sometimes it takes a while to reason some things.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:48 pm

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Ant, I am sorry for the loss of your brother all those years ago and really appreciate you sharing his story with us.
This has been a great thread.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Ant told me that story back in 97 I think. I always think about it. I have told the story to my oldest so he will be safe about this kind of stuff when he gets older. And when my youngest is old enough he will here it. Losing a brother is a horrible thing I wish I could say that I won't ever experience it.
sibbyu

Postby sibbyu » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:48 am

Very neat story. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”