Pull behind trail cutters

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
JoHo
Veteran

Pull behind trail cutters

Postby JoHo » Wed May 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking at a Swisher trail cutter (not a trail mower) to cut the roads and plots on my place then rent a tractor to do the disking. I only have 55 ac so I'm thinking it would do ok but I want some firsthand experience from you guys before I buy one.

Thanks
Proverbs 3:5-6

Magnolia Madison Cay- "Maddie"
HR Rogue River Raffle Tickette - "Tickette"
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: Pull behind trail cutters

Postby donia » Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 am

i've used one behind a 4wheeler that was a swisher brush cutter (like bushhog, not finishing mower) with a 12hp briggs (may have been 14, been a while) that cut the same in thick stuff as the one behind the 20hp tractor, just more narrow swaths (thick grass, reeds, weeds, vines...didn't try saplings over 1", since it was barrowed). electric start is a nice feature, but the pull start motor cranked second pull every time.
one thing to keep an eye on is keeping bolts tight during the first few uses. the vibration from the engine being on the deck, coupled with vibration from heavy cutting, loosened a couple of bolts and they fell out (one on the raise/lower mechanism and one on the engagement line - small bracket that held the cable on the mower deck)

i used it when they first hit the market heavy almost 10yrs ago , but i was impressed with the one i used and i'm sure many improvements have been made since then.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Tailfeathers
Regular

Re: Pull behind trail cutters

Postby Tailfeathers » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 pm

[quote][/quote]Joho, I have used one for a long time and it works good. You have to watch for bolts coming loose, but other than regular maintance I haven't had any problems.
Tail feathers

Return to “General Discussion Forum”