Dahomey expansion?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
TODO
Duck South Addict

Dahomey expansion?

Postby TODO » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Read an article in the local paper last night about the Dahomey NWR in Bolivar County looking to expand. Its 9,000 + acres now and they said they would like to get it to 46,000, all the way to the river. Would be interesting for sure.

Said that they could only aquire land from willing property owners. All the land west of there is highly improved farmland, and behind the levee is some highdollar hunting clubs. I cant see any of the current owners being willing to sell, at least without some substantial offers. The land behind the levee prolly cant be bought for any amount of money, but what do i know. JaMak or anybody got an inside scoop on this?
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Re: Dahomey expansion?

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:54 pm

They could buy Dahomey Plantation next door for about $50m. Why they government would want to take farm land out of prodcution that is improved to that extent would not make much sense. Since our government rarely makes sense anymore and sense it can print its own money, I would not be surprised at all if this were to take place though.
Jelly
Duck South Addict

Postby Jelly » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm

I don't see it happening anytime soon, especially with commodity prices the way they are.
Why is my mouth so dry this morning, when I drank so much last night?
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm

I think all refuge systems have a "wish list" type of map that shows all lands they would aquire if opportunity were to arise. Most of the time it is connecting lands to already established refuge and important pieces of habitat that may connect or help to connect more habitat. The odds of these refuges ever getting all of the land inside of their "wish list" boundary is pretty small. The fact that Dahomey is surrounded by so much good farmland makes it almost impossible that they will ever connect it to the habitat behind the river through purchasing of land. It is possible (slightly) that the private landowners themselves may help to connect the two habitats through programs offered by other government agencies sperate from USFWS.
Are we gonna get wet?
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:07 pm

JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Rumor going around that the farm has been sold, but I have yet to see confirmation of that. I know that it is no longer listed on lands of mississippi. The largest chunk of land which is the "plantation" is roughly 10K acres and 95% of the property is between the exsisting refuge and hwy1. Uncle sam would have to spend upwards of 50M just to get that, and still wouldn't be connected to the river. Add to that another 20k acres with dozens of different landowners that would have to be purchased just to connect to the levee. I'd guesstimate that 85% of the farmland between the refuge and the levee is irrigated and leveled, and probably not one landowner willing to take a penny less than 3k an acre. Then add to that the cost of reforesting and restoration. Good googlymoogly, my desk calculator can't show that many zeros! Like SWAG said, connecting the existing refuge with the river has been the long term goal since the begining. Unfortunately, I don't think they will ever find enough "willing" sellers for that to happen.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Ryano
Veteran

Postby Ryano » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:41 am

Guy from Little Rock owns it i think. Guys from Greenville are farming it and paying over 200/ acre for heavy ground if we are talking about the same place.
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Postby JDgator » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:05 am

Excellent investment! I am glad they have a strategic goal. So many people want to duck hunt these days our refuges are overcrowded with hunters. I'd be willing to pay more in license fees if it meant the money was being put towards that use. And remember, they have to start buying somewhere.
Caller1
Duck South Addict

Postby Caller1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Article says $5000/ acre as an example. That would buy whatever they want right now, right there.

They could buy what's north of 446 west of Calico woods and not be out much more than 1250 acres from Dahomey plantation, 16th section west of it( deal with county for long term lease), bout 800 acres west of that and they would be connected to the levee. Dahomey plantation owns about 140 acres inside the levee west of that that gubment could buy too ( public hunting inside the levee!). 4 mile long one mile wide connecting all Dahomey refuge to The riverside. Very do able for only bout 2000-3000 acres o'money.

Far to easy for gubment though.
Sound familiar?
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.- Karl Marx

Return to “General Discussion Forum”