Hunting Quail with a Lab

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Hunting Quail with a Lab

Postby Blake Williamson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:42 pm

I may about to go waste a few dollars but I got to give it a try and see how it turns out. But I'm going to try and hunt Quail with my lab (duck dog). Has anyone tried this?

I got me a good little hay feild about 200 acers big. I'm going to put about 20-25 brids in it and see how ole Jake does.
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Re: Hunting Quail with a Lab

Postby goosebruce » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:34 pm

All of our hunt test dogs are trained to upland hunt. The last series of our national event is an upland test. Hrc has an upland program and tests sO we do that as well. Its not difficult to get a lab to hunt upland. Planted birds defiantly, as most labs have about 45 minutes max in them, not enough to find wild birds nowadays. Btw most bought quail have little scent and make sure they are flight conditioned birds a lot arent.
DuckBoat
Veteran

Re: Hunting Quail with a Lab

Postby DuckBoat » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:51 pm

May do alright in a 200 acre hay field on tame birds, but don't expect him to go all day long in bristling patches. Just like goose said you got about 45 minutes of hard hunting with a lab and they are done .

Return to “General Discussion Forum”