Best time to introduce a boat to your pup.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bookum1

Best time to introduce a boat to your pup.

Postby bookum1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:20 pm

With hunting season in just a couple of days I am going to be out scouting. Is it too soon to take my 10 week old pup in the boat. She is pretty resiliant, and I think she would handle it ok. I am told that it is good to introduce your pup to all different things, but am not sure of the first boat ride. I certainly don't want to scare the crap out of her and ruin her from boats...
muddinram2duck
Duck South Addict

Re: Best time to introduce a boat to your pup.

Postby muddinram2duck » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:36 am

Should be fine as long as it isnt rough water and you are slinging her from one side of the boat to the other. Watch her, if she looks terrified, dont force it. Maybe try putting her in the boat on land several times prior to going out in the water.

We shouldnt have too cold of water out there yet, but that can cause an issue when introducing to water. Its mo better to get em swimming in warm season water.

Just my opinion, at the end of the day you be the judge for what your pup is ready for.

Mudd
SHR Rut's Samsonite Drake JH (Samson)
HRCH Rut's Mississippi Muddpie (Missi)
RF
Veteran

Postby RF » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:56 am

It's just like a first hunt...have someone else drive the boat and you take care of the dog. It will make if fun for her if you can pay some attention to her.
Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH MNH QA2 "Sam"
Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
slayem
Veteran

Postby slayem » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:58 pm

My dogs first boat ride literally scared the crap out of her.. The boat was picking up speed and all of a sudden opened up and she let it all fall out!
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:33 am

HA i can relate to the dog using the bathroom in the boat. Her first few times out (2-3 months old) on the boat she would end up pee'ing at some point. I dont know if it was nerves or just something new. After the first few times, I would take her for short boat rides- 15-20 minutes and head back to the dock and let her use the bathroom. I dont know if this helped teach we dont pee in the boat but I have not had a problem since.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Word of caution - Keep her out of 'uncertain' water until water temperature gets to and stays below 60 - dogs are no match for a mature gator.
Dr. B
Veteran

Postby Dr. B » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:51 am

I'm in your shoes! I just got my first pup and this past weekend we took an impromptu boat ride on the bayou. He's only 10 weeks old I kinda figured he would cower down around my feet and be a little shy. Boy, was I wrong! He loved it! As we rode around, he piddled around in the floor, milled around my feet, and then, stood up on his hind legs with the wind in his ears like he owned the boat! He seemed to love it!

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”