new here

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

new here

Postby missed mallards » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:13 pm

i'm kinda of new to this forum. but i've been a member just haven't posted up in a while. i'm currently tryin to train my 1 year old blm. ah the fun begin's.

here's a little background on him.
he's OB been FF and marks very well and is steady as a rock. and has been introduced to the gun. he's fixin to start CC as soon as the e-collar show's up. last duck season he made a few retrieves and does have quite a few under his belt. he love' s the water and can't stay away from people. i'm going to try to use smartworks vol 1 and work through it. so far i've been just jumping around an found out that if i don't stick to a solid program i'm not goin to get much out of him. i'm not wanting a field test or hunting test dog just a good hunting partner. it's been quite an expereince tryin to train the dog by myself. any dog i've ever work has already been trained and it was a breize and quite fun to work him and hunt him. this being my first dog it's not near as easy as just useing a whistle an tellin the dog what to do. i've got to train him. i know i'm behind my time and he's not quite still a pup but i believe he's still a pup at heart and has some desire to retrieve even at an early age.

i hope to get some useful info from this forum. hopefully my dog will to.
B3
Duck South Addict

welcome

Postby B3 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:04 am

Welcome, sounds like you're on the right track. I like smartworks. Sounds like you are about ready to CC. I would have a dummy collar on him for a while. If you haven't used a collar take it slow and get help or a video like the Lardy CC video. It sounds like Evan Graham will be coming out with Smartworks DVD's this fall if all the talk is accurate on the net. Stick around and ask questions- I don't think you'll get better advice anywhere.

Bill
D1
Duck South Addict

Postby D1 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:31 am

welcome aboard......or back.....or whatever......glad to have you here

and what B3 said about training
Thanks
Bruce

dogs are only as good as their trainers,and trainers are only as good as their dogs

Romans 14:11
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:46 pm

you have a foundation to build upon...a dog that has been FF'ed and obedience trained is one that you can do a LOT with.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”