Lets talk some duck hunting for a change

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Lets talk some duck hunting for a change

Postby crackhead » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 am

Ok this site has been sucking for awhile so im going to try and talk duck killing for a min.

Kinda curious what everyone else duck hunting padna's/crew is like. Do yall hunt with a bunch of randoms or solo most of the time. Or do yall have a group thats pretty tight knit. What about where ya hunt. Is it pretty much the same places, random, or bum hunts.

As far as my crew we been pretty solid for the last 12 or so years. A few longer but not many fewer. Very few randoms come our way. Mainly due to the fact we are fairly full all season. Id say most of the time a minimum of four guns more time than not six to seven. Hunting grounds typically hunting at my club or a few public spots around the area. My opinion is your only as good as who you hunt with. Since we hunt together so much its almost like a married couple. There is no bitching second guessing or asking whats to be done next. Im curious to hear yalls spin on this.

Or we can go back to talking what kinda BS new shotgun shell will let you tree top at 100yards or the latest call that has flames engraved on it will help you look like a duck douche bag.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Re: Lets talk some duck hunting for a change

Postby crackhead » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:39 am

Oh and btw how many on here actually hunt more than a few days a year.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 am

Almost every hunt I go on is with my dad (61), the man that makes our calls (84ish) and the guy they've been hunting with for 30 years (61). You are right about everything going off without a hitch. I've been fortunate enough to go with these guys for the last 20 years and we could not say a word to each other during the hunt and still get the job done.

and define a "few" times a year. with work and all, I usually average 20 or 25 hunts a year.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 am

I have only hunted with more than 3 or 4 guys a handful of times in my life, with most of those being dove or goose hunts. We generally hunt 2 people together, with more than half of my hunts being solo hunts. At a min I usually hunt every weekend morning of both teal and big duck seasons. Sometimes when teal is really good, I'll hunt every morning of teal season, but that hasn't been an option the last couple years.

Why would people on this board talk want to talk about ducks, when they can talk about shoes, baby killers, racism, politics, and the like?
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:51 am

Pretty tight knit group of about 6-7 of us. Most of us have our own camps and hise that don't have a good boat, so we go where the birds are or the river. Occasionally have some "randoms" but really wouldn't classify them as such, more like friends that we just don't hunt with that often. Most of us have been hunting together since our early 20's.

Good thread, something I've never really thought much about.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:52 am

Duck hunting is cyclic for most folks. Give em a few bad years and they're out. I still got a few folks that have stuck with it that I still hunt with, but I'm always down to hunt with anyone, as long as we ain't going to my holes.

If someone goes with us we just pretty much do our thing. As far as bitchin and moanin go, that's every hunt almost, make it fun. :wink:

Bullchittin' at its finest in our duck holes...
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
msbigdawg1234
Duck South Addict

Postby msbigdawg1234 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:55 am

Ant way i can get them from solo to groups...private and public ..with work & my daughter everyother week its hard to get that weekday hunt in but usually 2-3 in week and every weekend
My name is Rick Daughtry.......

Well, I had a lot of money, but to the city went
I met too many good looking girls and that's where my money went
Yeah I know just where it went
No I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.
H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:08 am

About 5 of us hunt together on a fairly consistent basis. Sometimes I like to slip off by myself, and sometimes when the birds get right in the woods, ill call up 8 or 10, and we will have a beat down. Last year I hunted 45 days between Arkansas and Mississippi..
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:18 am

My friends don't duck hunt. They just deer hunt and drink, mostly drink. I scratch and scrounge for a friend to come with me most of the time. 1/2 the time I end up solo. I need a good dog :roll:

Hunt public land.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
js
Veteran

Postby js » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 am

its jst me and one other on most hunts ocasionaly my nephew goes with us and a couple of friends from time to time dont get to hunt as much as i used to now that i live in pearl but still try to get aleast 20 days a season in.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:28 am

We have three guys that hunt together alomost every time we go. Sometimes a random fourth will tag along, but the way we hunt that's about all that ever go with us. It is neat how when you hunt together a lot you always know who is gonna shoot at what duck or how we do things together. We usually don't have many guests (maybe twice/year) and never do on the last weekend. We usually hunt 25-30 days per year together, which I know by some standards isn't much, but a lot more than some get to so we are fortunate.
work hard, play hard
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:00 am

Other than a few invites to a buddy's club, I hunt public land almost exclusively and focus all of my efforts to staying in the timber. Depending on weather and water levels I'm either in the boat close to the river or at a wma.

I've got two groups of guys that I hunt with every week. One group of guys that I hunt with in AR, hunt every morning and don't like to bring a bunch of folks so there is never really more than about 8 guns. Everyone has their tree that they like to stand next to and everybody pretty much knows what to do. They have been hunting the same block of woods for three generations and I'm obviously the newest guy out there going on my 6th season with them. I do most of my hunting with them during the week and usually average 2-3 hunts Monday - Friday.

On the weekends I hunt in MS closer to home and have 6-7 guys that I hunt with every weekend including my Dad. With the exception of a couple, I've been hunting with these guys my whole life. All of the public spots we hunt, we hunted with our Dads and know the areas fairly well. Everything usually runs pretty smooth unless I'm hunting with my Dad. He taught me how to hunt and got me started with this duck addiction I have. Our problems are caused because we are just a like and we each have our own way of doing things. More times than not, we are very resistant to conform to the other's plan. If you turn us loose in the woods we'll both come back with ducks, we just go about it in different ways.
Josh Lantrip
pintail07
Veteran

Postby pintail07 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:31 am

Got a pretty close knit group at our club.....some weekend hunters some 60 day guys....It's nice when all the original guys get to hunt together without guests or anything. Our camp is in N Arkansas off the Cache but also travel around a good bit. I hunt in 7 different counties in Ark, public and private, so I'm kind of a nomad during duck season. I usually hunt about 55 days a year over there plus a few extras in some other states when it's closed. I love hunting different areas and different spots over there.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 am

Im off Tuesdays and Wednesdays so I tend to do a lot of solo hunting, but my buddy and I save our vacation time all year for duck season, so we hunt together most times, sometimes with one or two others. We do a lot of layout hunting so we really dont have room for a bunch of folks. We will go on a flooded timber hunt once or twice a year with 4-8 folks. I try to hunt 30-40 days a year.
rbsdrake
Duck South Sponsor

Postby rbsdrake » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 am

Hunt with 4 others only on public ground. We have a good time chasing ducks together. Been hunting with them for about 5 years now. We are all like brothers. We don't get on each others nerves that much. We seem to work well together. Hunted with some guys on here a few times that I hope happens on a more regular basis. Normally hunt 25-30 days a year but with a 10 month old who knows now

Return to “General Discussion Forum”