Youth Shotgun Question?????????

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Joe Kain
Veteran

Youth Shotgun Question?????????

Postby Joe Kain » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:21 am

I am looking at getting my 6 year old a 20 gage shotgun for this upcoming dove and duck season. He is really tall for 6, standing at 4' 6" and weighing about 60 lbs. What have you bought for your new duck hunter and looking back at the purchase would you do it again? I have read some stuff about not getting a youth gun and go ahead and get a regular 20 gage and have the stock cut down. The reason I have been told to do this is once the child grows out of the youth model gun, it is basically not going to be used anymore and if you get the regular 20 gage, you can put the original stock back on the gun and have something for them to use as they get older. If I go with a youth gun, I don't want to spend any more money than I have to since he may only use it for a couple of years as fast as he is growing but if I get a regular 20 gage, I don't mind spending the money to get a nice one that he will use for years to come and I wouldn't mind using it myself at times in the dove field or shooting sporting clays. Any suggestions or experiences????
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Re: Youth Shotgun Question?????????

Postby Dutch Dog » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:07 am

A "youth" gun can be used by more than one sibling, it can also be handed down. If you look around, you can usually find a youth gun pretty cheap.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:07 am

I started both of my sons with 20's and cut the stocks down and also bought replacement stocks so they could shoot them when they get older. They both still use them, and me too, for everything from doves to turkeys several times a year. Main thing is to get him something he is comfortable with and doesn't kick him so hard that he developes problems. Fit and fundamentals goes a long way for his future as a wingshooter.
Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:43 pm

sibbyu

Postby sibbyu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:13 pm

My kid has a Mossberg Super Bantam...a 20 gauge synthetic stock pump with a removable peice of stock to reduce the LOP that can be put back on. Comes in camo with screw in chokes and built in sling mounts. Model 500 stocks and barrels are interchangable as well. He has a ported and scoped slug barrel for it and a turkey choke too. Gun new was under $300...the barrels are under$200. Ive been pleased with the gun...the slug barrel and scope combo is unbelievably accurate with Hornady SST's. He'll shoot that till he gets an upgrade for himself, a hand me down, or recieves a gifted gun. Kills everything from dove to deer with 1 gun. I started with an old 20 gauge Rossi SxS that my son enjoys shooting today as well :wink:
Last edited by Dux Be Us on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
RNT
Veteran

Postby RNT » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:17 pm

A youth model 870 is a great gun. I used one until I was 16 maybe even 17. A twenty gauge will kill anything a 12 will if they are 20 thirty yards, and he will grow to love it. I cant throw it up that great anymore because i got used to the long "regular" 870 12, but I never had any problems with it and it still is a great gun. The size is awesome, you can get it to your shoulder really quick.
Cut em' Boys
Joe Kain
Veteran

Postby Joe Kain » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:28 pm

CBRADGO
Veteran

Postby CBRADGO » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:25 pm

I saved and saved and got a BPS Youth at the age of 10 and shot it until I was 15, then sold it and my A Bolt to fund the purchase of my Citori. I'd love to have it back to pass down to my son and he to his son, etc. That being said, I'd go the youth gun route before I chopped off stock but that's just me and I'd go with the Browning. Shot a TON of shells through mine and never had a hiccup.

With him being that tall, will he have the arm strength to hold a 7lb+ shotgun? It was hard for me at 10 and 75lbs to hold any gun correctly (weight forward) until I built my strength up. I bugged my Dad to get it out of the gun cabinet every night and practiced holding it until I could keep it up for a reasonable amount of time with good form. Anyways, best of luck to y'all...
cody's guide
Veteran

Postby cody's guide » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Cody is now 13 and been hunting with me since 6.
i highly recommend 20 gauge Tristar.
he has been shooting the Tristar 12 since he was 10, very little recoil and a great gun.
good luck
driveby
Duck South Addict

Postby driveby » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:17 am

I have a Mossberg SA20 youth model for my kids. It's a semi-auto, light weight, and gas operated so the kick isn't too bad on the little fellas.
http://www.dixielandcalls.com
http://www.sdb.alducks.com
http://www.SouthernDuckBoats.com

"Are you sure you're Albanian? You don't look full blooded" - Don Miller
Redhead
Duck South Addict

Postby Redhead » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:15 am

Beretta Teknys 20 GA.... It is a sweet little gun.
Shoot em on Three... 1 ... 2... Boom
blkdout
Veteran

Postby blkdout » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 am

Look at the Remington 870 Compact. It is a youth model that comes with shims to give it a longer length of pull when he is ready. This will keep you from having to cut a stock off and then trying to piece it back together later on. They also have this in the 11-87 if you are looking for an auto.
SFDdelta1
Duck South Addict

Postby SFDdelta1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:15 am

It's Not all Mai Tais and Yahtzee Out Here
Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:39 am

I bought my 8 year old an 1187 youth last year and am very happy with it. I like the auto because of less kick. My 5 year old has also shot this gun too.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”