Chiwappa question?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Ryano
Veteran

Chiwappa question?

Postby Ryano » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:17 pm

When will my chiwappa start coming back out this year? This will be its second year. Thanks
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Re: Chiwappa question?

Postby Wingman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:07 pm

My volunteer jap millet from last year's planting has already headed out and died.

Do you mean when will it sprout?
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Ryano
Veteran

Postby Ryano » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Yes when will it re-sprout this year?
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:27 pm

I don't know. Depends on soil and moisture conditions, how much viable seed you had from last year etc. I'm not sure if chiwapa even has a good reputation for reseeding year after year. Maybe SSI can help.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
SSI
Regular

Postby SSI » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:43 am

Ryano - I don't if your meaning re-sprouting from last year's plant or last year's seed germinating this year. Either way, I will be glad to offer what I know about both. Other's may want to chime in with their experience. Last year's plant will not grow back this year, because the plant is an annual and not a periennial.

There are a lot of variables at play for last year's seed to germinate this year like with most all moist soil plants. A couple of the biggest factors amount seed left from last year's crop, quality of the seed and growing conditions. Assuming the quantity and quality of the seed is good, the growing conditions would be an important variable. When was the water drained off the impoundment(s)?, what was the competing vetation like?, etc.

I know I had it come back two years after my initial planting one time. I had not planned on it coming back and did not try to manage for it. I even deep disked it, planted soybeans and put two applications of RR on it. I'm still amazed it came back after deep disking. That goes against everything taught about moist soil management. We here from people every year that

If you just pulled the water off, I would say you still have a chance of getting some back. If it has been over 4-6 weeks since the water was drained, I would have expected to see it by now.
Roger Jones
Specialty Seed, Inc.
(662) 836-6451
http://www.specialtyseed.com
Ryano
Veteran

Postby Ryano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:23 am

Thanks Roger. Yes i bought it from you last year. Planted it last year and it did great. Was under the impression that it would reseed itself for a couple of years after initial planting. Water has been off for a good while now. Guess its not coming back because i haven't seen it yet.
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:34 pm

What is coming up? If broadleaf, it could be that removing the cover via 24D will let the grass come on up.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”