RR Trees

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

RR Trees

Postby Wingman » Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 pm

I think I am going to talk to Monsanto about developing Roundup Ready trees.

I sure could've used them last week when mine got sprayed. :( Pilot (great friend of mine) didn't realize my "weedy ponds" had been planted last winter. Sugarberries took the biggest hit. Plums took it the next. Most of the oaks and all of the persimmons are barely showing any damage.

I told this guy back in the winter I'd planted some of the ponds in trees. Guess he just forgot. Stuff drifted 3 tenths of a mile in places. Thank goodness none of my food plots (other than clover) and native grasses were up yet.

Gotta love Delta life in the springtime.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
SSI
Regular

Re: RR Trees

Postby SSI » Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Is he going to make good on it? Are y'all still good friends :)

I've experienced what you have but on some Chiwapa millet and conventional soybeans. I didn't even mention to the joining farmers, too good of a frienship to bring it up.

Then on another hand a farmer 3/4 mi. away said we got RR drift on his rice. It had to go over 600 acres of timber to get to his field. Last I heard he made a claim on the pilot.
Roger Jones
Specialty Seed, Inc.
(662) 836-6451
http://www.specialtyseed.com
munyoz70
Veteran

Postby munyoz70 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:57 am

dont take this the wrong way rob, but your pockets arnt deep enough to make that happen. LA sugarcane producers have been wanting it for years but they cant or havnt ponied up the money. When I was working for Helena I wished our seed cane company Sugartech would have made that happen. We would have owned the seed cane industry from Fl to Hawaii with that investment. But it takes serious $$$$$.

Most experience i have with chem drift on trees it will just defoliate them but most will live.

But that is a different story with 2-4d on cotton or round up on cane
"Man you don't see them ducks, hand me that gun"- T.K. and Mike
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 pm

I was kidding about Monsanto. It would take millions. I think most of these trees will be ok.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “General Discussion Forum”