Flagstone patio / walkway

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Flagstone patio / walkway

Postby eSJay » Mon May 16, 2011 2:02 pm

I’m looking to install a couple of different patio areas in my back yard accessible by walkways.
I’d prefer the natural look of flagstone, but am open to alternative opinions. From what I’ve been able to determine, the best way
is to pour a slab, top it with flagstone & fill the joints with mortar. This is also probably the most expensive method (I’m guessing).

So I’m looking for opinions on other options. Also looking for best place to buy the materials.

I enjoy DIY projects, but not opposed to letting a pro do this if the price is right so if you can recommend someone, please share.
If you know of a “Juan” or “Pedro” with this type experience & speaks “spanglish”, that might also be helpful.

Jackson Metro.
Thanks guys.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: Flagstone patio / walkway

Postby stang67 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:36 pm

I am looking to put about 100 sq ft in brick pavers of some type. I want to do something that I don't have to mortar and can just use sand between the joints.
munyoz70
Veteran

Postby munyoz70 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:15 pm

lay a sand base smooth out to your happiness. Lay flagstone out how you want it, then spread dry quick crete all around and "wash" the flagstone clean. I could hook you up with some pros if you need it. Also I suggest Brad Morgan of Morgans all natural stone in Brandon
"Man you don't see them ducks, hand me that gun"- T.K. and Mike
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Mon May 16, 2011 3:36 pm

Morgan stone, hands down.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Mon May 16, 2011 3:41 pm

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm

cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:07 pm

I agree that concrete is a little much, but it does give you a nice solid base with a drainage grade already in place. Mortar joints will give you better stability for your stone. Sand does good with brick pavers but will work with stone too. Crushed rock or gravel for stone joints will work but is a little more difficult to install and maintain in my opinion. Sometimes the stones will 'rock' or teeter if the gravel isn't extremely tight and packed. The look that you want with the patio is a major determinant regarding what materials you will want to use.
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
munyoz70
Veteran

Postby munyoz70 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:15 pm

MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Mon May 16, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm doing the 12" sq steps that are regular cement colored, then doing the red river rocks in the joints. My joints will be about an inch wide. I want more steps as I will have chairs on the patio. To big of a joint and that will make the chairs not sit solid n
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Mon May 16, 2011 5:59 pm

If you are going to pour concrete why not just stain it and be done with it. You can even cut you a design in using your skill saw and a concrete blade.
Rusty Parsons
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Mon May 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Another concrete option is the molds that use concrete and look like stones. You can also add the stain when your mixing the bags.

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
munyoz70
Veteran

Postby munyoz70 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:47 pm

here is one of our best stone guys back when we were in the stone business

http://www.fullingtonstone.com/
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Mon May 16, 2011 9:06 pm

That guy does great work Brett!
I like the idea about using sand, then quikrete.
I'd definitely rather not pour concrete. I’ve heard cases where the sand frequently washes out & becomes a constant maintenance issue. In that case, concrete & mortar is probably more stable with less upkeep. One of the areas will have table & chairs, the other a fire pit & chairs so a fairly smooth surface is desired. The other thing is that the areas will have some curvature and not all straight edges & 90° angles.

I appreaciate the advise fellas. Keep it coming.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 am

As the others have already said, no need for a Concrete base. I highly recommend sand (as opposed to the red fill-sand). Level it out but try and get 1/4" slope per foot for adequate drainage. Once completed, you will want to fill the joints with Polymeric (sp?) Sand - simply pour out of the bucket and sweep into the joints. Then, mist with a water hose 3-4 times at 10 minute intervals. This stuff is like sand with glue - or simple mortar. I just completed a similar project as a Mother's Day project....next time, I'll opt for the perfume...man, what a job! I purchased the Stone Pavers (16" x 16") and the other materials at Lowe's. Lowe's also has a handy brochure showing the different types of stone along with directions - from Prep to Finishing. Good luck and Roll Tide.
Last edited by duckter on Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Tue May 17, 2011 8:23 am

we have a stone deck (for lack of a better term) in the back yard. there is no concrete, but what we did was put plugs of zoysia in between the stonees to accent it and it helps with any erosion. Then I just run a mower over it and its good to go. you are more than welcome to come over and take a look at it sometime if you want.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”