Question about pearl river Kayaking?? canoeing?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

Question about pearl river Kayaking?? canoeing?

Postby Bigpoppa » Fri May 13, 2011 11:35 am

Any of you ever kayak or canoe the pearl river. I am especially interested from the spillway to lefleurs. I kayak on the main lake and want some information about some good places to go on the res. Any info would be great!! Thanks in advance
The poster formerly known as Xpress
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Re: Question about pearl river Kayaking?? canoeing?

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Fri May 13, 2011 11:49 am

From the Rez to Lakeland road is 9 miles with some access. A couple miles below that is a lowhead dam and a few more brings you to hwy 80. Once you pass this the next access point is in Gatesville, like 40 miles downstream. There are a few roads that cross between this stretch but access is horrible. One day we are going to float from the Rez to the Gulf. One day.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Fri May 13, 2011 12:01 pm

A couple of good resources for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Canoeing-Mississi ... 1578062225
I have used this book a lot when planning my paddling trips.

http://www.msoutdoorclub.org/
I think the msoutdoorclub (formerly Ms Canoe and Kayak club) has done that trip before. It may have been a few years, but you can probably find some contact info for someone on their site that may be able to give you some detailed info.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

Postby Bigpoppa » Fri May 13, 2011 12:51 pm

dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 pm

You'll have to portage. I believe the left descending bank is the best side to portage on (it's been 12 years since I've been there so I'm not 100% on that), but I'd stop above it and scout it out to make sure. The nature trails at the natural science museum used to run down there, and if they still do that would be an easy way to check it out.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

Postby Bigpoppa » Fri May 13, 2011 1:26 pm

dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Fri May 13, 2011 1:38 pm

If it is 11 miles (according to ggr) I would say about 5 hours. I don't have my book at work with me to check the exact mileage, but I would figure on around 4mph if in a canoe and taking it easy. If you are in your kayak you'll be moving faster. If you paddle much Canoeing Mississippi will be handy for you. It gives a summary of each floatable stream/creek/river in MS and also gives put-in/take-out spots with distances between them. When I get home this evening I'll try to remember to look up the distances for you.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:42 pm

If you are on Facebook, look up Keith Plunkett. He is a big 'yaker and knows most of the good trips around here. He actually has a Alzheimers charity that raises money through Kyak trips. Really cool guy.

They do afternoon trips all the time.

I've been seeing a couple of guys come out of Twin Harbor a lot lately. Not you by chance?
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Fri May 13, 2011 6:09 pm

rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Fri May 13, 2011 9:50 pm

I have canoed and pirouged (if that is what you call it) our pearl (neshoba) but it is nothing like yalls pearl. HA HA HA so let me know how it goes.
Rusty Parsons
Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

Postby Bigpoppa » Sat May 14, 2011 7:53 am

Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

Postby Bigpoppa » Sat May 14, 2011 7:54 am

dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Sat May 14, 2011 8:54 am

Sure thing. Have fun, and if you need someone to make the trip with you, or if you want to go paddle Bayou Pierre sometime, just shoot me a message.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sat May 14, 2011 9:03 am

Hey rusty,

I've never floated the extreme southern part of the Pearl-where they say it's absolutely beautiful- but I venture to say our end of the Pearl is the most beautiful part I have seen so far. When the water is right it is superb floating. Also it's free of the major erosion issues that the Pearl has after it leaves the Rez. Those banks get waterlogged then after drawdown they are exposed and just sloth off into the river.

Speaking of the book Canoeing Mississippi, which is a superb resource, read about the Homochitto River. I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is a prime example of human tampering to our river systems.

I always said anyone that duck hunts a major drainage area or float trips will never litter. It always ends up in our streams.

I have two passions in the outdoors. One is green timber duck hunting and the other is float camping. Nothing beats shoving off at daylight leaving little to no trace that you have camped in the area with nothing to your name but what is strapped down in the canoe.

Well...I do love turkey hunting too...and fly fishing...and squirrel hunting...and crappie...oh hell nevermind.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Sat May 14, 2011 9:40 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”