LASIK

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Re: LASIK

Postby Dutch Dog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:40 am

My understanding regarding presbyopia is that it's something they are working on. Seems like I heard it had been tested with some good results, but the FDA ??? hadn't approved it yet. It's been a while since I read up on it though. Do a google search for presbyopia LASIK.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
rolo
Veteran

Postby rolo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:02 am

donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:23 am

we were told (my wife and i both had it done) that after the age of 40, most everybody will need reading glasses...lasik or not. she already got them, i haven't had to, yet...only a matter of time though.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 am

well I am 48 and starting to believe what the old timers told me. "That will make you go blind". Must be some truth to it.
Hayes Calls Prostaff
Crazy Anglers Pro Staff
Kick's Chokes Pro Staff
Crappie Logic Jigs Pro Staff
F&F Boats Prostaff
Dakota Decoys Prostaff
Dr. B
Veteran

Postby Dr. B » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:28 am

Addressing Torch,

As rolo posted, there is really no way to correct presbyopia (blur at near that occurs with age) with surgery without giving up some distance vision. We do a ton of monovision LASIK at my office for people who are very happy with one eye seeing at distance and the other to focus up close. The folks that hunt, play golf, ect will often put in a contact lens in their "near" eye to see better at distance whenever they are doing an activity where they want crisp distance vision in both eyes.

CK has lost it's luster because the near vision did not last very long in a lot of people.

Clear lens exchange (pre-mature cataract surgery) with multifocal implants are tricky and my experience is that a lot of people are not happy with them because of the glare they get at night and the reduction in distance vision.

You may want to give the contact lens route a try. Depending on your distance vision, you may just need to wear a contact in one eye for close up. The set up sounds kinda wierd but 80% or more of the people I fit are successful. A lot of guys have some trouble initially with handling them but with pratice, it gets better. It sure beats having reading glasses strung out in every room, in the truck, ect.

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:34 am

Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
ducksak
Veteran

Postby ducksak » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I work with your brother paul in the cath lab. I hear some stories while we are scrubed in.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:39 am

Can people with astigmatism in both eyes get the procedure down?
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:35 pm

HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
Dr. B
Veteran

Postby Dr. B » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Astigmatism is correctable with LASIK but as bulldog ducker mentioned, it has it's limits. My experience is people with astigmatism get hung up on something that is usually not that big of an issue. The word gets people's attention. I can tell someone "I'm sorry but you have glaucoma, bleeding inside your eye from diabetes, a little astigmatism, and cataracts. We need to get your glaucoma and diabetes treated right away." Patient response: "Wait. Can you tell me about the astigmatism." Interesting what people focus on.

It's an anatomical irregularity on the cornea (or the human lens in the eye) that causes light to focus in 2 different places. This is what is so annoying to the patient. There is no area they see that is in clear focus.

We can treat up to 4 or so diopters of astigmatism in most cases. This covers probably 80% (or more) of all patients with astigmatism. As mentioned above, most offices that perform LASIK offer a free screening to see if your presription fits the parameters and also to insure that your expectations are realistic. Good luck!

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Postby Drakeshead » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:00 pm

mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 pm

Fine Dr. B but I thought a persons astigmatism changes as they get older. So I wondered if corrected for that conditoin now, might it change with time? :?
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 pm

There is always a chance that your Rx will change with time (astigmatism or none). If it does change an enhancment can be done to correct for that change.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
Dr. B
Veteran

Postby Dr. B » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:36 pm

It MAY change but it is usually very mildly if at all. If there are large changes, it would be related to cataracts, some other age related condition, or possbly trauma. If someone's Rx has been stable for several years, chances are that it will remain that way. Stability of a prescription is a must for anyone considering refractive surgery. If your glasses have been pretty stable over the years, there's a good chace that your are a candidate.

One must consider that LASIK doesn't permanetly fix every vision problem and certainly vison can change afterwards. Enhancements are often performed to correct vision changes over time. If one desires to become less dependant on glasses and contacts, LASIK is a great option.

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
wap
Veteran

Postby wap » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Best thing I have ever done. I would have it done every couple years if I had to. I was blind and my vision hasn't changed a bit since I had it done in 05

Return to “General Discussion Forum”