Car accident question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cockandlock25
Veteran

Car accident question

Postby cockandlock25 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Is a lawsuit feasible in the case of your airbag not deploying in a car accident where u are hit in the door and flip 5 times, totaling your vehicle? Even with a brushguard?
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Re: Car accident question

Postby quack_a_tack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Depending on the model, to my knowledge the front airbags are only to be deployed in a front end collision. Most pickup/suv air bag sensors are in the front bumper, the reason from my understanding is in a side impact the front air bag could do more harm. But don't take my word I am no lawyer, nor am I an engineer.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 am

MY NECK!
Where'd who go?
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:43 am

To heck with a lawsuit....I think I'd just be saying prayers of thanks that I'm still alive!!! :wink:
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 am

For an airbag to go off, there has to be decelration... i.e. an impact on the front that picks up the g forces in the air bag comptuer, and tightens the seat belt pretensioners. also sensors on the front bumper being crushed makes a difference (decelration alone can trigger one, but usually its a sensor AND decleration) and thats where a brushguard would change the dynamics of the air bag. A side impact flipping you over is a helluva wreck, but didnt put the forward decelartion to trigger the air bags. later model vehicles with side impact air bags have sensors in the rocker panel, about where the b pillar is. So the short answer is from your brief description, I could see where the air bag wouldnt go off, and would be (still could be) working as designed. Add the modifcation of a brushguard, and you've got a loophole any lawyer could get thru regardless. travis
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:46 am

no need to get sue happy...unless your vehicle is equipped with side impact air bags. even then, you might not have a case if the impact was not in the precise location to deploy the bags.
you should really focus your energy on thanking the Lord that you are alive & understand what made your car roll in the first place, then try to prevent a reoccurrence.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Forrest3
Veteran

Postby Forrest3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:06 am

If your vehicle did not have side airbags then there would have been nothing to deploy. If it did, the side airbags are actually controlled by a module that is normally found under the seat and senses when the vehicle is rolling and deploys the airbag.

What make of vehicle and model of vehicle was it?
blackhawk0718
Duck South Addict

Postby blackhawk0718 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: one call thats all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Look out for dem danm COOTS
there every were
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Wife had a wreck in her Accord several years ago where she ran up under a truck. The truck bumper was up high enough that it pealed the hood off like a sardine can. We had wrecker driver and police trying to coach us into seeing the local ambulance chaser because the air bag didn't go off. . Cop even called me at home and said I need to see the lawyer. When I told him no he was in my driveway 15 minutes later telling me, "we never had this conversation, you understand" :shock:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
wap
Veteran

Postby wap » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:48 pm

For a front airbag to go off you have to have a negative acceleration DELTA V of 5-7 MPH give or take, it is different on every make. You have an airbag sensor somewhere in your car with an accelerometer built in to it that tells it when to go off. When your vehicle rolls you do not have deceleration therefore your front airbags do not deploy.
cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:09 pm

"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Do you have insurance? Does it include UM? Comp and collision coverage? Im not trying to be smart, but I want to see if there is any other way around this.
cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Yes, I have full coverage, UM, etc. My insurance company has now taken care of everything. I was just asking the question about the airbag out of curiousity because several people told me that the airbags not deploying in such a bad accident could be a serious case. I was asking for clarification from someone who may know the details of that situation. I have since spoken with a lawyer and discussed this.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”