new pup health?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tentomterror

new pup health?

Postby tentomterror » Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 pm

I picked up a new puppy over the weekend. He will be 7 weeks 5-4-10. We couldnt do a whole lot with him because of all the rain, but when we got home i notice his rear legs seem weak. He couldn't stand on them good walking around, they would give out some times, but seems fine when he runs. He had diariea when i got him. Noticed a little blood in the stool after we got home. He acts well for the most part. Just wondering if i should be worried about this? This is my first lab pup. The mom and dad's hips have been checked good. He said they were EIC clear not sure about CNM? They have a 24-month health guarantee. He is a trainer/breeder. Any Suggestions? Will be going to the vet 19th of May for 2nd shot.
jksboxofchocolates
Veteran

Re: new pup health?

Postby jksboxofchocolates » Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm

I would go to the vet before the 19th. If the pup has blood in his stool his gut is irritated probably from the diariea and it doesn't take a puppy any time to get dehydrated. Take him and just have him checked out.

JMHO.

Janet
HRCH UH Wagars MH 1500 Pt Club, SHR Diggs, HR Cruz, Soul and always HRCH Cinn SH 500 Pt Club, HR Rocks and HRCH UH Schooner SH 1000 Pt Club
franny131
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:33 am

Sometimes just the shot will give loose stool, and you may see blood from that. But it is always best to go immediately to the vet anyway. Coccidia can kill a very young puppy fast and is common in young pups. Don't waste time trying to figure it out or a wait and see, just check with your vet now. It could be just loose stool from new food or other reason, but not worth the delay if it's coccidia.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
LastFrontierLabs
Veteran

Postby LastFrontierLabs » Fri May 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Does the pup's back seem somewhat arched? Sounds like it could be CNM.
Copiah Creek
Duck South Sponsor

Postby Copiah Creek » Fri May 07, 2010 3:07 pm

With the blood in a loose stoole , get the VET. Sounds like a couple days on Albon will fix you up , im not a Vet but i think its a little early for CNM to show its ugly self .
HRCH UH Hope Spring's Dowry MH*** aka Fatty
HRCH UH Hill Top's Stealing Cinderella MH aka Punkin
HRCH Gator Point's Swamp Water MH aka Rain
tentomterror

Postby tentomterror » Mon May 10, 2010 12:15 pm

We took a stool sample, everything came back good. She gave me some antibotics just in case.
He seems to be walking better. He is just young i guess. His back looks straight when he walks. Arched back a sign of CNM? Does any one know anything about 4health puppy food from TSC? Any good? Still has diariea. Thanks for the suggestions.
LastFrontierLabs
Veteran

Postby LastFrontierLabs » Mon May 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Symptoms:
"At birth, affected puppies are indistinguishable from their control littermates but as from two weeks of age, a progressive significant weight loss is observed. At one month of age, the absence of tendon reflexes is noticed and used as an early and reliable diagnosis. The age of onset of the disabling phenotype varies between 2 to 5 months, with an awkward gait and a decreased exercise tolerance, associated with a generalized muscle weakness."

"The physical symptoms cause the dog to fall and stumble and have difficulty eating. They never move normally."

Since the muscles atrophy to the point of disuse, they don't support the spine properly giving them a somewhat arched back.
Copiah Creek
Duck South Sponsor

Postby Copiah Creek » Mon May 10, 2010 3:25 pm

HRCH UH Hope Spring's Dowry MH*** aka Fatty
HRCH UH Hill Top's Stealing Cinderella MH aka Punkin
HRCH Gator Point's Swamp Water MH aka Rain

Return to “General Discussion Forum”