HB1282 and HB1137 New deer season bills....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
BR549
Duck South Addict

Re: HB1282 and HB1137 New deer season bills....

Postby BR549 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:09 pm

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:22 pm

BR,

I don't understand why you say that doing all of this will increase hunter numbers. We already have one of the longest, most liberal seasons in the country. Everybody that wants to hunt has ample time no matter what the weapon. Not trying to pick one with you, but why would opening season earlier for primitive weapon cause more people to hunt?

Jt
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:32 pm

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Again.......not trying to be a smart butt, but you just answered my question indirectly. Your daughter has already killed a pile of deer under the current season structure and if it doesn't change you will still introduce your next child to hunting if they desire to go and they will have plenty of time each year to whack a big slick with the firestick, so there is no need to give anybody two extra weeks with primitive or non-primitive weapons. Your daughter is a hunter and has become that way under the current system. The structure makes no difference to the amount of hunters is all I am saying, or at least I can't find a way that it does in my simple mind. This thread has made me question the reason for the season change even more than I did before. I am actually glad to have gotten involved in this one. And just for you guys that, like me, would like to see the primitive season actually be PRIMITIVE again........a bow is the only real primitive weapon left!!! The primitive weapon season has become a fun season for the gun collector to get to go out and buy a new gun that shoots just like a rifle. BTW....I really enjoyed hammering a buck and doe in Alabama this year with my tru-70. It had been a long time and it was still fun, but just not as fun as seeing that arrow dissappear behind the shoulder.
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 pm

But again that's "YOUR" choice! We are in an area that needs a trememdous amout of management. It's no problem for us to kill deer. But it's not all about just our area. We have self imposed limits on what we do and we try our best to manage it so we can have a few quality bucks to shoot. Wether that be with a gun a muzzleloader or a rifle. For me personally I could care less if I ever kill another deer. I've killed my share. I killed my first deer in 1969. We didn't have deer back then like we do now. I've killed em with bows, recurves at that, flintlocks, caplocks, shotguns, rifles, pistols and even these new fangled "primative" weapons. Even a few with a truck! But that's not the point! Overall you put more people in the woods earlier with a rifle you will kill more deer! Now what that deer is is strictly left up to the shooter! There in itself is where I say stupid is stupid does! Id be willing to bet 98% of the folks that are complaining about this bill have no problem killing deer. Most of that prolly don't adhere to the limit either! They kill what they can kill and are afraid that putting more people in the woods earlier with a gun is going to "take away" a priviledge that they have had all to themselves. Simple Greed is all it is! they aren't worried about the herd. They don't care about giving John Q. Public more of an opportunity to take an animal. All they want is to have it all to theirselves! Simple facts prevail here. make it easier for John Q. Public to kill a deer and more people will hunt. The more people that hunt the more deer that will be killed! Hence the relaxed rules on the muzzleloader! I certianly don't hope you call the archery equipment of today "primative"?????
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:22 pm

There is little doubt that anyone is going to change their views on this subject from post on a forum. You have to look at the over-all picture.

To just to throw a few facts around to help some understand what drives the department to make these decisions.

1. This past year the insurance companies came to a meeting with the department telling them that they have to do something to help curve the amount of vehicle/deer accidents. Its millions of dollars a year.
2. The department doesn't change the limits as it has been proven more than once that changing the limits does not increase the amount of deer taken. People kill what they want. Less than 1% kills the limit each year.
3. Gun season license sales dropped by more than 15000 licenses last year alone.
4. Primitive weapons season license sales went up by more than 7000 last year.
5. More hunters are moving to the primitive weapon season for a verity of reasons which include but not limited to the timeframe of the seasons, the introduction of young hunters with single shot guns, and the exclusive primitive weapons clubs that have developed since the change of the primitive gun structure.
6. Archery hunters are the smallest of all the user groups yet have the longest opportunity to hunt.

My suggestion would be to call the department and talk directly with Larry or Chad and listen to what they have to say. Most of the people that are complaining are doing so simply because they don't want to lose exclusive time in the woods. Many believe that in doing so will somehow hinder them from having a successful hunt. What ever the reasons you have against this or for this change in structure you must get involved and know the facts before you assume some hidden agenda.
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:30 pm

BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:34 pm

DUHHHHHHH!!!!!!

open your eyes and look man!
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Dan,

You are right about not knowing the facts......I do not and I stated that. I admit that I hate to see the change for selfish reasons, but I really feel like it will not make that big of a difference however, I could be wrong. If so I stand corrected, but I still stand on my beliefs. The masses will eventually prevail and I can't believe that they did not this time if the masses want change. I need to get more informed on the issue and maybe I will call Mr. Dacus. I don't even like to hear about insurance companies, but if I was in their shoes I would view it differently I am sure. If the heard needs thinning then let the bullets fly, but let it be in the best interest of the resource.

BR,

I think you are taking what I am saying too personal. We disagree and that is o.k. I will be ok no matter what as long as the turkey herd is healthy;-) I really do think that a bow is still primitive though......I have thought about a recurve, but compound is probably as primitive as I am gonna get...

Jt
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:06 pm

One last thing I think needs to be said.

If it comes down to the fact that the department cannot come to a solution with moves like this to get to where they want with the deer harvest it could come down to a single license for all seasons and a complete restucture of the hunting seasons to include all weapons of choice.
If the user groups don't come to an understanding and help the department control the population it could come to pass and then everyone but the Gun hunter loses.

Don't think for a minute that they can't set all license to the cost of a sportsmans license and give the state of Mississippi a 90 day season and not save a ton of money. If all they had to do was maintain one license structure they could do away with a great deal of over head now required to maintain all the different small game/large game/archery/primative weapons seasons. It's happened in other states and can happen here too.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:10 pm

TODO
Duck South Addict

Postby TODO » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:14 pm

I was just reading the bullnettle news forum, that is where the majority of necks from the now closed mdwfp forum migrated. The topic of the day now is Bobby Cleveland's artice from Sunday. Bobby was for 1282 and more or less said the bowhunters were well organized eliteist and killed the spring squirrel season. So there all upset, some to the point that there calling Bobby out for having a brother that may or may not be limp wristed. Classy bunch im here to say. Bottomline of this argument is the bowhunter contingent doesnt want to share the woods. The arguments about it wont help control the herd, it's all a plot for increased revenue, space aliens from mars, whatever, are excuses for the underlying reason of not sharing the woods. I have been for it all along but am really for it now. The elitist attitudes, bitchin, and moaning from the MBA, etc put a bad taste in me mouth. When it gets passed in the future, i will relish dropping the hammer for the first time on Nov 1.
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:18 pm

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and I am sure that the department doesn't want to see the biggest income producer that the state has (deer herd) go bad, but I think a lot of what they don't think about enough is the fact that hunters are lazy and won't do what it takes to manage a deer heard. I have people in my camp telling me to shoot their does because they know that I like to shoot them with a bow and it is simply because they don't want to clean them. I always shoot my five does, but I don't think a longer season will help me do it or cause others to so it, but I hope I am wrong. Another thing that seems to be heard a lot is that I don't want to shoot a doe with my gun and mess up my spot. I understand this thought process. Another one is that it is too easy to shoot a doe with the gun in Ms. What gives........I don't have a good solution, so I guess I will quit griping. One more thing though......if I thought it could go the other way if it didn't work then I might be more accepting, but when it gets voted in it is here to stay.
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:23 pm

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Todo,

I ain't for the name calling and all either. A good argument about it never hurt anybody. I don't ever get too upset about Bobby.....he only knows about the deer heard what he gets told and I am sure he is on the side of the MDWFP. I do wish that some middle ground could be found, but it probably won't.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”