LSAT ?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
blindretrieve101
Regular

LSAT ?

Postby blindretrieve101 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:23 pm

if anyone has taken the LSAT recently please shoot me a PM I have a couple of quick questions! Thanks
ColMuldrow
Regular

Re: LSAT ?

Postby ColMuldrow » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:11 pm

Don't do it would be my answer.
blindretrieve101
Regular

Postby blindretrieve101 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:38 pm

I took it years ago with good results but life took me in a different direction! I'm now a few years wiser with a much better support system.....and with all the headline news about crooked attorneys- why not?
Ducklord
Veteran

Postby Ducklord » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:22 pm

esquire
Regular

Postby esquire » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:39 pm

4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:50 pm

or watch Matlock
Where'd who go?
dawg-n-duck
Duck South Addict

Postby dawg-n-duck » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:52 pm

I totally agree that KAPLAN was a complete waste of time and money. After about the second meeting, i would rarely go because i did not find it useful. Take the practice tests.
Happy Happy Happy
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:25 pm

Probably 60% of lawyers hate what they do for a living. 20% view is as a job but would do something else if the money was right. 10% love it and don't think of it as work. The other 10% is somewhere in between the 60% group and the 20% group. I have been practicing for a number of years now and have to say if I could, I would go back in time and kick myself in the balls for even thinking about law school.

I went to a good law school, have had decent jobs, etc. The fist mistake that I made was looking at other lawyers that I knew, or thought I knew, and assuming they enjoyed their jobs. I thought, who would not be happy making that kind of money? After knowing them professionally and not as my Dad's buddies, I now know the whole truth.

Truth is, lawyer salaries have been in a steady decline for years. Tort reform and joinder rules have seriously cut into the plaintiff attorney business. Like Ducklord stated, the job market is HORRIBLE right now.

If you are going to go to law school, I would HIGHLY advise working in a law firm for at least 6 months before going. I guarantee that it is not at all what you think it is if you have not experienced it. You may love it and be a 10 percenter.

Po Monk on here is a lawyer and, from what I gather, loves what he does.

Another thing, unless you are in the top 25% of your class, which no matter how smart you are is difficult, you are probably not going to land a desireable job at a large firm. That is simply the way it is.
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:19 pm

I am in that 10 percent. While I have only been practicing for almost a year now I absolutely love what I do. I don't consider practicing law work. With that said what everyone is telling you is true.
blindretrieve101
Regular

Postby blindretrieve101 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Appreciate all the confidence building replies.....I have worked in healthcare field with my father all my life and the same goes for this field--some hate some love it....I do have opportunities lined up if I decide on this route which will be 90% consult work with healthcare related corporations....My brother is a physician in Kentucky and makes an booty load of money and to this day he still says if he could go back he would not have chosen medicine....especially now that the whole healthcare reform is on the horizon....Anyway thanks for input guys and maybe I can get some direction in the ol duck blind this winter!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”