this call ,that call, your call my call?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
speckulator
Regular

this call ,that call, your call my call?

Postby speckulator » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:18 pm

I have came to the conclusion that sometimes we are never satisfied with much when it comes to hunting gear or calls. I am set on just a couple of calls for duck hunting and thats the trusted dr85 from Haydels, BGB sweet talker in Bois D ark or however its spelled, and the smoke from Mr. Phil R. from Duck Commander. I have 2 shoe boxes full ranging from 18 bucks to 150 bucks. My favorite is still the DR85........ I am sure some of you will agree with what I am getting at! Oh by the way I did get a daisy cutter Ivory last year and on the days that I have good lungs I like to use it! Maybe its just the engraved skull and cross bones on the side that I am attracted to...... Now to get to the point! I do not and will not go through the money to find the perfect speck call! I did have a Black cut down speck from Haydels that I lost in Leland Ms 2 years ago and have borrowed a Primos shaved reed speck. It was easy but missing a certain sound I like! I have been looking at the Zink Power speck for a fat washington but find myself reluctant to turn over that president..... Maybe I should just call Haydels for another speck call and be over it? If you know of any info on the Zink call, PLEASE share it. Is it easy? Or do I need those huge lungs again? All speck calls will have a proud owner I am sure. So just try to focus on this zink call for opinions. Or maybe just feel free to grade echo or the new RNT speck call that is really pretty! lol........... cheap plastic from La may be where its at!!!!!
louisiana duckman
Veteran

Re: this call ,that call, your call my call?

Postby louisiana duckman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Tryed the zick speck call at cabelas it was alright but it needed to be tuned for me I tryed the echo it sounded hollow but it will kill specks .before i tell you about how much i like the RNTs speck calls for the last few years i've been hook on RNT calls and they are pure duck in my hands :mrgreen: period back to the RNT speck call it sounds like a real speck right out of the box once you got the ah-ah right since it been out know i'am talking about the quackhead calls it has called in some of the hardest birds around down here and it does it very well they are $20 .00 it has won back to back state open and meat calling speck contest in la it's placed as high as 2nd in the world speck and placed in many more down here and it's a 20.00 call now this nis just imo their are many more speck calls out and they are all good ..i hope this helps you
ROLAND CORTEZ
RNT calls
speckulator
Regular

Postby speckulator » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks Bro! Narrows it down a bit! Off to RNT I go !!!!!!!!
louisiana duckman
Veteran

Postby louisiana duckman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:21 pm

I have some brand new quackhead speck calls for $20.00 shipped to your door brown color barrel black inserts with black guts in them they i retuned time so they break over very easy and you will be happy how they sound out of the pack
ROLAND CORTEZ
RNT calls
speckulator
Regular

Postby speckulator » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:38 pm

I went to the quackhead site and listened to the call ..... Has a sharp sound to it! I like that. I may be in contact with you soon. Since moving to the Ms Gulf coast my speck hunting has changed dramatically. I am not able to go North to hunt them as often as I would like. I am however thinking of going to or somewhere in La. this season to chase them. I have heard they are plenty. While hunting in the Ms Delta I have let several dozen snows buy me or land just to pop a speck! Something about them. Cant shake it! I did take an oddity this season on the east marsh here in Ms. A juvenile speck that had lost his way! If it were not for me having him in my possesion at the time no one would have believed me......... He flew in from the gulf! Straight out of the Gulf I mean. The wind was terrible that day. I was in a layout blind on a little sandy finger and cant believe I heard him over the wind howling through the mesh..... Any day doing that is a good day! Surf scooters, speck, redheads and a golden eye! What a crazy bag.....
rbsdrake
Duck South Sponsor

Postby rbsdrake » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:08 pm

hold on there buddy you really need to try out the echo speck call. this thing is great easy to blow. i have never used a speck call before until this one. thats how easy it is to use. i would be willing to get up with you and let you try it out.
speckulator
Regular

Postby speckulator » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:31 pm

That may be a possibility in the future...... I have a place to go shoot specks but it is rare I can talk my partner into putting out all the rags and deeks most times. He just thinks its too much to go through for a few geese. Its private land and it sometimes harbors several thousand geese. But when the leftovers from the crops are scavenged, its over. Only passing shots from there on out. If you know the Ms delta its one field to the next and you have to be sitting there every evening to pattern them. Unfortunately for me I cannot be there to do that. I am always in search of places to shoot those sky carp, so if you have a place in mind I would be glad to take on the chore of the setup and hunt with you. Or maybe I will be able to give you an invite one day if possible. Just depends on the geese!
T.C.
Regular

Postby T.C. » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:11 am

I agree Quackhead speck calls sound really good, but don't forget to mention they ARE the hardest to run. Mine takes so much air to make it break over that I'm red faced, light headed, and so on. I also have a Echo Specko. It is to easy to operate. I tend to over do it and it locks up. Never tried a Zink speck call. I don't care for Zink's products. I've heard Chien Caille, & Sean Mann make great sounding and easy to operate speck calls. Never ran one. Most people are partial to one call manufacter, and try to swing you in that direction. The way I see it, if it works...it works. I don't care if I have a mixed lanyard. :mrgreen:
louisiana duckman
Veteran

Postby louisiana duckman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm

if your quackhead speck call is hard to break over pull the guts out and put the reed right at the end of the tone channel and put the wegde in tight and that should be perfect i like a speck call a little hard i'am a hard caller but when you look for a speck call get a speck call not a canada call thats tuned as a speck call :mrgreen: most all good speck calls or small calls like the chien caille or psolt sp-20 calls to get that crack or real life speck sound calls that are a canada call tuned as a speck call sound hollow to me but sean mann ,redbone and many more are all good specks calls .but out of all of them i like the RNT calls they fit me
ROLAND CORTEZ
RNT calls
speckulator
Regular

Postby speckulator » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:42 am

So far a couple of you lean real hard on the Quackhead......... Hmmmmm........ My next question with all honesty from you guys will be " Do you go after specks? Or you just feel good when they enter your spread and you get to take a couple now and again?" Unlike calling judges, Its easy to go a little crazy trying to sound the best and loudest in the timber when your chasing ducks! Ive known guys call extra loud hail calls just b/c some dude down the slough didnt sound quite like he should have. Ever known any one like that? I do not think that its possible to over do a speck. I just watch the birds and listen to there call backs or greeting ..... I suppose that its all the same Ducks/Geese, over calling..... I am not worried about sounding the loudest or feeling like I have ran a marathon after Ive called a series for a minute or two....... I just want that good ole turn over , cluck, yodel grunt meat call............ I think after your opinions after the last couple of days I have came to the conclusion that there is a quackhead and a RnT going on the same lanyard this year! I will stick to my Haydels snow call for sure! And try your suggestions on the speck calls. God speed brothers!
hencutter
Veteran

Postby hencutter » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:29 pm

www.redbonecalls.com. And yeah,I target them.Sillosock decoys in ag fields, floaters downwind on marsh ponds.
speckulator
Regular

Postby speckulator » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:56 am

Thata a $200 call! Wow! We will see! Gotta love it eh?
rbsdrake
Duck South Sponsor

Postby rbsdrake » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:50 pm

those redbone calls are bad @ss. they win the speck calling championship damn near every year, i just dont hunt specks enough to spend that type of money though.
hencutter
Veteran

Postby hencutter » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:05 pm

GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:41 pm

why has nobody but Roland mentioned a Chien Caille??? really, I mean that's the speck version of "black corn" try one out learn to use it and you will not need anything more.... there are other good ones out there, but I'm partial to my spotted dog.....

and if they'd raise the limit on speck's i might quit duck hunting....fun stuff!
"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts

Return to “General Discussion Forum”