Decoys?????

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tdaggett
Veteran

Decoys?????

Postby tdaggett » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:37 pm

I have been away from hunting for a lot more years than I care to think about due to the nature of my work. Thankfully, I've been able to get back to it in the last couple years in time to introduce my 14 year old to it, and need to re-equip. We've got flooded rice and green timber in East central Ark to hunt. Anyone have suggestions or favorite brands of decoys? Just curious what everyone feels works best for them.
HR Boudreauxs GroceryGrabbn Gator
Boudreauxs Delta Darlin' Duxie
I'll keep my Bible and my guns, Obama can keep the "CHANGE"
Rice
Duck South Addict

Re: Decoys?????

Postby Rice » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Green Head Gear are by far the best dekes IMO
A man who won't has no advantage over the man who can't.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:28 am

Or G&H can't go wrong with those two.
SFDdelta1
Duck South Addict

Postby SFDdelta1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:07 am

It's Not all Mai Tais and Yahtzee Out Here
Unkljohn
Duck South Addict

Postby Unkljohn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:32 am

tdaggett
Veteran

Postby tdaggett » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:38 am

Thanks for the input. I had been leaning toward the GHG and G&H already. Makes me feel smarter to have others validate my thoughts. I didn't realize how much I had missed the duck hunting until getting back to it the last couple years. It's going to take a lot of creative accounting to hide all the $$ for the goodies from the wife. Anyone know where I can hide a Rhino, a couple Benellis, and a couple hundred dekes?
:twisted:
HR Boudreauxs GroceryGrabbn Gator
Boudreauxs Delta Darlin' Duxie
I'll keep my Bible and my guns, Obama can keep the "CHANGE"
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:40 am

I have been very pleased with G&H, have some that I got when I got out of school, and they still have good paint. I think I have had 2 heads pop off in 20 years, and lost a couple "eyes." One of my partners has a couple dozen of the Cabela's decoys and I really like those, too.

The biggest issue with decoys, by far, is keeping your nutcase hunting buddies from shooting them full of holes. LET THE DOG GET IT!!! :wink:
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
wsmith7t7

Postby wsmith7t7 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:50 am

tell u what.. give me ur phone # and i will give u directions to my house.. i will hold onto them for ya! :lol: :lol:
cheeko
Veteran

Postby cheeko » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Greenhead or herters
Enjoy the little things,for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things
SPORTSMANS PRIDE
www.sportsmanspride.com
TEAM ECHO
www.echocalls.com
LONGLEAF CAMO
www.longleafcamo.com
Mud River Pro Team
www.mudriverdogproducts.com
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:58 pm

i have the cabelas real image dekes and really like them. in a spread that has a variety of diff kinds of dekes they really stand out above the rest with the size and colors
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:01 pm

That's a heck of a haul from Mobile, AL to Arkansas !

I don't like GreenHead / Avery as their decoys are way too heavy. And rumors have it that they have had paint problems.

I have some Flambeau's that my dad bought in the 70's that are still being used. G&H's are awesome... Would not be surprised to see some made by Drake coming out soon...

BTW, my dad is a neighbor of yours. He lives in Satsuma.
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:51 pm

I just saw some great Herters mallard decoys. They looked great and weren't too bad on price, either.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm sorry....I can't pass-up this opportunity.....

If I were going to rig-up to hunt a rice field......I believe I'd go with Flambeau Magnums. I don't have any myself because I river hunt primarily, and G&H seems to work better for us.

I say Flambeau Magnums because of the action they get in the wind.......best I've ever seen (and I've seen rigs in shallow water that had 5-6 different types and brands of decoys.......the FlamMags just caught my eye, instantly. They tack side-to-side and won't lay over on their side when they change direction.

Now for the second part........to say GHG's are the best decoy made is too general a statement IMO and emphasizes blatant partiality based on the fact that that's what you use.......therefore it must the best.

I think it depends on your hunting style......how you rig'em......whether you walk-in, swim-in, boat-in.........whether you hunt in 6" of water or need something that has a keel and tie-offs that allows for ajustable depths to 20 feet.......whether you pick'em-up every day or leave'em out all season..........whether you have $200 or $20,000 discretionary income per season.........whether you put your decoys in individually triple-padded slotted bags (because you paid $50 apiece for them).....or dump 3 dozen in a French & Sons bag and never tie it shut for the haul in/out. There's just too many variables that would prevent one decoy from being the best there is.

But I remain of the opinion that GHG's are over-priced, over-weight, over-marketed, and over-rated when it comes to realism, durability, function, value, and portability........emphasis on 'over'. GHG has and will continue to make improvements in their products......but right now, they are only competitive in the decoy market primarily because of marketing and to some degree, appearence.......not function.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:46 pm

French and son is no more :cry:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”