Am I just stupid?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:05 pm

Judge, I have always wondered how long it will be before someone claims DU is culpable if someone is killed driving home from an event where alchohol is provided. I think it is only a matter of time.
BBR12
Veteran

Postby BBR12 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:13 pm

I know and have heard all the pro's and con's of how it helps raise money, but is it ok for DU to break the law to raise money. The banquet I'm talking about was very nice no one got fouled up and crazy social drinking only. What i'm talking about is down here in Lincoln country we are Dry. Brookhaven is wet but the county is dry. Well the 01 Banquet was held in the county in a county owned building. Let's just say the sheriff wasn't very happy when he walked in and everyone had a drink in their hand. The committee was told to get rid of the beer but as soon as the sheriff walked out they took a hands off policy. If you want a beer come get it, but you have to pour it.
Drake
Veteran

Postby Drake » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:46 pm

I probably shouldn't even post this, but I do want people to know where I stand. Rob, I know exactly where you are coming from and I admire your stand and your ferver. MossyIsland, you may have said it best, but I'll try to tell my view without being hypocritical since I myself feel like I am the chief of sinners. I'm not sure the best way to approach the situation or the discussion. I do not and never have drank but cannot condemn another for it. I don't agree with it, but I'm not educated enough to say that the Bible says that drinking is a sin. Without a doubt, the Bible is clear that being drunk is a sin. It also gives repeated warnings about the dangers of wine and beer. I will say that drinking is a sin for me because I believe it would be a stumbling block to others if I drank. That is not to say that I am without sin, because, unfortunately, we all sin, myself feeling like the chief of sinners. I will gladly tell anyone of my opinion or view on this subject, but I refuse to argue with anyone because I believe the Lord warns against this.

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather exspose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. ... Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. - Ephesians 5:8-18, 20

For those of you like me who are not the most articulate:
Debauchery: n. 1) extreme indulgence in sensuality
2) seduction from virtue or duty
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
- Thomas Jefferson
gadwall2
Duck South Addict

Postby gadwall2 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:39 am

GC, did I read right? You were a seminary student? Now how in the world did you go from being a preacher to being a lawyer? Jab, Jab, Jab :P :P :lol:
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:33 pm

Rob I quit drinking on my 38th birthday. Woke up that morning and said well I'm 38 and what am I going to do with the rest of my life? The same year I lost my best freind and wife after leaving a DU sponsors supper. She was driving and didn't know the road very well. My wifes father is an alcoholic and she grew up with the misery and I could see that my having a few beers after work was really eating on her. There is not a day that goes by I don't thank the good Lord up above for giving me the insight to change. I have friends that drink I hang around with and it doesn't bother me I not here to judge them. I don't have a problem with being places that alcohol is being served. I have become the designated driver with my buddies.
spoonie
Regular

Postby spoonie » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:35 am

who keeps puttin pink ribbons in his hair

who said that i said that SPOONIE!!!!
Doc & Nash
Duck South Addict

Postby Doc & Nash » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:06 am

Conservation is number one to all true outdoorsmen

Trey Edwards
UH HRCH Nashs' Legend MH RIP 8/11/02- 10/12/12
The yet to be named Chocolate Dawg
jkm1272
Veteran

Postby jkm1272 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:59 pm

Guess What?

DU event went very well, even though beer and whiskey was served. No one got drunk or acted like a fool. Just goes to show people can have a few drinks, have a good time, and act responsible.

I think I need a drink after reading all the latest posts on this topic.

I am outta of here!!! (Moses qoute from Exodus)
go24
Duck South Addict

Postby go24 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:24 pm

You guys crack me up! But it's not so bad that I NEED a drink :wink:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”