Teal gone!?!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
featherduster
Veteran

Teal gone!?!

Postby featherduster » Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:13 pm

Went Friday morning, saw a ton of woodies, no teal. My sister and her boyfriend (both duck hunters), went across the big river to a favorite early season spot and came up empty also today. I would guess without a good front to push some down, that unless you have a secluded few groups to hunt, the little ducks are over..
SCOOTER

Teal gone!?!

Postby SCOOTER » Sun Sep 16, 2001 2:11 pm

aint nar one in north ms either, we had a few couple weeks ago,but they left quick or would that be quack.
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Teal gone!?!

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Sun Sep 16, 2001 5:12 pm

Didn't go this weekend. All of my duck hunting buddies were either stranded out of state due to the airport mess, or were having to tend to family matters. Sounds like I did not miss much.

Went last weekend in Leflore County MS to spots where many teal have been harvested in previous years. Came away with two, both taken on Sunday morning (Sat., three of us got skunked). Saw probably less than a dozen
the whole weekend. There were woodies out the wazoo. At least they were fun to watch.

Wish MS would be allowed to go to the shorter season that would allow both teal and woodies to be taken ala TN, etc. That way, if the teal had already passed through, or never make it until after close of the season, there generaly would be some shooting action with the woodies. I do not think that two weekends of shooting woodies would hurt the wood duck population.

Think I will give it a try again next weekend. Maybe the teal will arrive in great numbers this week. That is one thing that is great about duck hunting -- there is always hope for a better day tommorrow.
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Teal gone!?!

Postby judge jb » Sun Sep 16, 2001 5:17 pm

i never could tell when they got here or when they left...... seen less teal this year than alot of years in the past.... i don't know.....
Bufflehead, i would like to add to your bottomn line.................

"you get the beer, i'll get the gas..."

thats cool.......

judge jb
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Teal gone!?!

Postby vicksburg » Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:52 pm

Went Sat morning on the big river and did not see a thing...no teal, geese, woodies, or resident big ducks... Pretty disappointing. Not real sure what happened to the teal this year.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Teal gone!?!

Postby mallardchaser » Mon Sep 17, 2001 7:12 am

Went sat. morning, had a great hunt. went to the same spot Sunday and didn't see 1 teal..
Waboduck
Regular

Teal gone!?!

Postby Waboduck » Mon Sep 17, 2001 8:08 am

I went to scout a hole Sat. morning and saw 1 teal and 30 woodies. Funny thing, the wood ducks never made a sound coming in or on the water. Lots of splashing on the water but no chatter. Plenty of flyovers but no calls. Was this unusual? Never happened to me before.
jbeam17
Veteran

Teal gone!?!

Postby jbeam17 » Mon Sep 17, 2001 9:57 am

I have found a few, but they seem to be heading for yonder fast. kinda a hit or miss thing.
BAuchly

Teal gone!?!

Postby BAuchly » Mon Sep 17, 2001 10:18 am

I didn't hunt yesterday but stopped at a pond to look at the relatively high water (this wet summer has been great). Anyway, the water was pushed up into the smartweed and I flushed 150 teal out of the corner. They flew to the other end of the pond and set down again. Going to try to hunt 'm this evening.
coonass

Teal gone!?!

Postby coonass » Mon Sep 17, 2001 10:57 am

I went sat and sun and only saw 5 threw both days!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”