Hog trap

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Sdelta
Regular

Hog trap

Postby Sdelta » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:55 pm

I am looking for some info on a hog trap. They have done some extensive damage to one of my roads in the last two weeks. I feel like if I trap a few they will leave the immedate area.

SDelta [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Hog trap

Postby mallardchaser » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:20 pm

we did it at mine 10 years or so ago..
We built what looks like a pin and set a "trap" door. we put some whole corn in it..they came in and hit the door..If I remember they caught several..square pin w/ a rope trip trap door..
duckhuntalot
Veteran

Hog trap

Postby duckhuntalot » Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:03 pm

SDelta,

what area are you in I might be able to help.
RB
Regular

Hog trap

Postby RB » Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:21 pm

South Delta... If you never tried to catch hogs in a pen you'll find out it's hard. First thing is if you have land leased by IP or Anderson Tully I don't think you can put bait (corn) out for any reason...even to trap hogs. If you fool with the hogs too much they'll go nocturnal on you. Traps work but just try to cut down on human scent as much as possible and if you are able to use bait then do it too. If you are able to hunt them that's the funnest way to harvest them.
I'll be glad to come help you harvest them if you need some help.
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Hog trap

Postby judge jb » Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:22 pm

the hog traps i have seen are as mallardchaser described... just bait with corn and wait..... build pen large enough that it will hold several hogs, place bait in rear of pen with door release...they are like tame hogs when they find a food supply, they will fight for the low end of the trough.....

judge jb
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Hog trap

Postby judge jb » Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:27 pm

wild hogs can be hunted over bait and even at night as long as proper ammo and caliber for after sunset hunting is observed... it is advised to contact your local G&F officer and advise him of your plans so as noy to confuse with headlighting laws...

judge jb
shiloh
Veteran

Hog trap

Postby shiloh » Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:57 am

we have built hog traps out of 10' cattle panels with hog wire wired to them to fill in the cracks. All you need is four panels with a trap door tied to a corn trough. Keep in mind that you need a door that locks when tripped because a hog will root under it and push it opens if it does not lock. These animals are not dumb. We caught 17 in a trap at one time, but only two were grown. The rest were piglets. WE grew them out with spilled cattle feed at a local dairy in an old dog pen. Good eatin for a while!!!
Sdelta
Regular

Hog trap

Postby Sdelta » Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:23 pm

Thanks for the info. This place is 30 mile north of vicksburg and the hogs have made a wallow(sp)in the middle of my road. How hard is it to make a trap door? I will start feeding them now and trap over the labor day weekend hopefully...

SDelta
peewee
Duck South Addict

Hog trap

Postby peewee » Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:33 pm

South Delta, sounds like your in my neck of the woods. I thought about your post yesterday afternoon.

I was coming back from the camp going down 61 back towards V'burg and I looked out into a field and saw 3 big hogs. They were in the field b/w the Yazoo river bridge and Eagle Lake Road. You know that old willow flat that the farmer has drained there, the hogs were walking across it. One hog was black, one was tan, and one was tan with black spots on it (he was an ugly booger I tell ya).

Good Luck controlling the hogs and dont push them over on us. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Sdelta
Regular

Hog trap

Postby Sdelta » Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:41 pm

peewee,

Yea, I know exactly where you are talking about.

I had an experiance w/ the hogs on my land that I will not soon forget. I was riding my wheeler around the edges of our holes and the bushes in front of me started to move. I thought a deer was trying to get up so I eased off the throttle. When I did that the hogs surrounded my wheeler. There were around 10 to 12hogs. I picked out the smallest and tried to run it over but was only able to bump it in the rear. I figured that I drove up in the middle of them while they laying down.

This is the first time I have ever seen a wild hog. Then I go back two weeks later and I find my wheeler trail, one big mushy mess. I sunk my wheeler were I usally drive my truck this time of year. This is when I declared war.

I am still looking for a trap door design or where I can buy one..

SDelt
[img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Hog trap

Postby vicksburg » Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:52 pm

I'd love to kill one with my bow. Any of ya'll with a bunch of hogs and want some killed, let me know.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Hog trap

Postby peewee » Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:55 pm

Quinn you need to learn how to shoot a bow first. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
SB
Duck South Addict

Hog trap

Postby SB » Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:50 pm

SDelta,

I tried to e-mail you but your address is blocked. Drop me a line, and I should be able to help you. Best regards,
wngrog
Regular

Hog trap

Postby wngrog » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:12 pm

Ask Wildfowler about those two fat hogs we bagged with #4 steel out at the Res. a couple of years ago [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Goat Roper
Regular

Hog trap

Postby Goat Roper » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:23 pm

We used to trap hogs by building a pen with a trap door that pulled straight up with a rope on a pully. Tied one end of a rope to the top of the gate and held it up by tying the other end to a ear of corn that was wedged under two stakes driven into the ground inside the pen at an angle away from the gate. Feed the hogs around the pen always with the gate open and then start thowing the corn inside the gate. I have caught dozens over the years.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”